Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been checking out everyone else's projects... making me feel like I should be doing more restoration!! I picked up a '71 CB350 a month or two ago for 500 bucks. It has 9400 miles. It had been sitting in storage since 1997 which is the last time it was registered. Came with a "new" gas tank and ignition switch.

[attachment=2:17pllqy4]31116_615812564590_6901599_36630791_4282280_n.jpg[/attachment:17pllqy4]

So far my plan is to just get it running and replace things that are crucial. So far we have replaced the brake throttle and clutch cables, got the air filters and carburetors off and are in the process of cleaning/rebuilding carbs. Soaked both in a gallon of carb cleaner for more than a day, brushed them out and replacing pitted jets and wire brushing it. Got a new battery and in the process of cleaning out the gas tank, although it's not too rusty. Gonna replace the air filters, probably gonna try to rip out the shot old ones and stuff a retrofitted filter the same width in there and seal it up. Got the old chain lubed up and nice and smooth again, and planning on having the bike painted within the next two weeks to get rid of the dual color scheme.

I'm a teacher at a high school with a large technical department and I can get it painted by the autobody class, no labor charge. Also can use the shop facilities every day after school, and I live on campus. Pretty nice setup!

Hope to get it running, further on down the road I should probably take it all apart again and sand the frame and repaint it, methodically go through and get everything shiny and non-rusty again. Probably should have done that from the start but I only have a month or so left here at the shop, I kinda just wanna get it running.

Bike seems to be in fairly good shape, motor turns over real nice w/ the kickstart and seems to have good compression. Once I get the carbs hooked back up and some spark plugs and the air filters back in we'll see how (or if...) she runs.

Any comments or advice?

More updates on progress to follow.

[attachment=1:17pllqy4]31116_615812574570_6901599_36630793_1620593_n.jpg[/attachment:17pllqy4]
[attachment=0:17pllqy4]31116_615812579560_6901599_36630794_7649674_n.jpg[/attachment:17pllqy4]

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Get actual compression readings.....The bike might run below spec, but won't "pull" well...
170 ish is the "normal reading", 150 would be minimum, but would still feel like "good compression" to you..........

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. You live "on campus" at a high school? :eek:

You gotta let us know where you're at, us "out in the sticks" types have no frame of reference for that one. :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been working on my project.. naturally ran into some roadblocks, being a newbie and it being an old bike.

I have successfully POR-15'd the gas tank, came out real nice. The two step wash restored glorious shiny metal to the tank, a bit of flash rust pops up and the silvery paint type stuff goes in. Quite a process, but came out very nice and from what I've heard, seems worth the effort.

Got battery all hooked up and working.

[attachment=4:nziw2gjm]IMG_6790.jpg[/attachment:nziw2gjm]

Rebuilt stock air filters.

[attachment=3:nziw2gjm]IMG_6788.jpg[/attachment:nziw2gjm]

As per someone's suggestion on this forum, I lit the old filters on fire and burned them out. Bought a replacement WIX filter at the auto parts store, it was the same height and about the same depth as what could fit on the casing. Carefully broke the two halves of the casing apart and the brittle epoxy came apart easily. Used a grinder with a wire wheel to dredge out the old yellow brittle glue and cut the new filter to the approximate length. Used door/window tubed silicone to reattach the two metal casing halves, and siliconed the new air filter in there. Made incisions on the new filter's padded foam rubber seal to enable it to wrap around the sharp contours of the casing more easily. Tied a ratchet webbing strap on there for about a day or so and they were good to go. Plugged up any visible holes and re-mounted them on the clean carbs. Seem to be all set.

Re-attached ignition assembly.

Attempted to buy some used parts from some local guys that have a barn full of about 100 bikes, but no luck with the old dirty parts so far (petcocks), except for getting the top half of my R handlebar kill switch. I was missing that piece. Dunno if i can get it to work though. I am missing the mini ball bearing that sits in the groove and lets the switch stay in off/on/off position. As it is now it just slides freely around, and as far as i can tell does not work - when the bike's on and I play with the kill switch nothing happens. I'm not thinking that'll change just by getting a ball bearing for it. Maybe I need a whole new R handlebar assembly? I'm really bad with wiring...

[attachment=2:nziw2gjm]IMG_6793.jpg[/attachment:nziw2gjm]

Drilled holes in gas tank attacher tab cause we couldn't find an appropriate original rubber sleeve. Got a piece of folded up rubber in there and bolted it to the frame.

[attachment=1:nziw2gjm]IMG_6800.jpg[/attachment:nziw2gjm]

Bike runs quite well at idle, revs up real nice no apparent problems. Had it running off the gas tank for 2 or 3 minutes cleaning the exhaust of any old crud that may have been in there, just then realized that the petcock leaks like a sieve. Tried tightening down the faceplate bolts, bowl, top nut, didn't gain much on it. Heard from some that it's possible to put an O ring in there along with a thin washer as a temp. fix but it's in kinda bad shape as it is so I just bought a new one on ebay. Really want it to come soon.

Actually drove the bike about 100 feet, and then the L carb started leaking quite steadily out the bottom brass (vent)? Perhaps I have a stuck needle valve or misadjusted float... Emptied all gas, waiting on new petcock - don't wanna keep frigging around with emptying gas out and spilling it all over the floor and all over the crankcase...

As for the electrical world, I'm not getting brake lights because one of the two wires that plug into the front brake lever assembly is ripped out. Time for a new switch here? Or try to reattach the black wire?

No turn signals. Also wondering what this white plug is behind the battery.

[attachment=0:nziw2gjm]IMG_6802.jpg[/attachment:nziw2gjm]

Problems preventing me from riding, and from getting inspected:

-Leaky petcock
-Leaky L carb bowl
-No turn signals (guess I don't actually need them, I could just take them off, haha)
-No brake lights
-Need a new chain I think, it was quite jumpy when in gear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
That white plug goes to the alternator. Nice work on the air filter by the way :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1971 CB350 Update

Hi all,

Continuing this post from a long time ago. Bought the bike in March, finally
getting around to doing some restoration to it. It's in pretty good shape, just doesn't look super hot. It is a couple different colors, and it's quite dull. The engine needs a big polish and all the chrome needs attention.

I have 2 weeks completely free, so I decided to make the best of my time and head to the shop. Today, my first day, I took the whole bike apart. I got everything off the bike except for the front wheel, fork, handlebars, and
headlight. This is cause I broke one of the screws on the headlight and couldn't remove the handlebar wiring etc.

My plan is to rip the rest of the wiring, wheel, fork, etc. off the frame and
get it ready for sandblasting. So, I'll sandblast the frame tomorrow and paint it. I'm also going to try to start using steel/brass wool to polish up the chrome and find out which parts need more TLC than steel wool brings. I also had a problem with my POR 15 application, which I'm trying to remedy by drying the gas tank out for a couple of days. The POR 15 went on well, it just got pooled up a tiny bit around the fuel crossover tubes and never fully cured. Uncured sealer mixed with gas and got all kinds of junk in the tank. Even rinsing multiple times didn't fully clear it up. I'm hoping a final rinse and several days of drying will do the
trick.

Later in the weeek, I plan to strip all previous paint and to paint the gas tank, side covers, fork, and headlight case up real nice. I've decided not to keep it the stock tealish green color, but am considering forest green, orange, and darkish blue. Any thoughts on colors?

I'm gonna try to attack the engine and all aluminum parts w/ a toothbrush and some Mother's polish, then put on some MAAS to protect chrome etc. from future corrosion as best as possible. Can any protectant be applied to the engine to protect from corrision, or does it get too hot? We'll see what happens.

Other than that, I just need to put on new tires and tubes, get a mirror or two, get it inspected, and drive it around a bunch to make sure there's no POR 15 residue left in the gas tank. Also need to put on a new R crankcase gasket - 90% sure the small oil leak is not from the base gasket. Gonna also try to repalce whatever bolts/screws I can with more resilient ones. Is stainless best? Phillips heads? Hex heads? Torx?

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. First was for paint colors, but I'm also wondering if while I have the bike apart is there anything I should replace just as a matter of course? I plan on getting the bike looking good and actually using it. I'm from Vermont but am moving to NYC and plan on riding it to NYC (350 miles) every so often. I'd also like to ride it down to NC and out to Indiana to visit some friends. I don't want to be scared to take it on longish journeys. Should I be? I know the bike can
do it - I guess my concern is whether I should check anything out/ order new parts from Honda while I have the bike apart and have the time. I'm thinking I'll order some new brake shoes and new gaskets, but other than that, anything I should replace just to be safe? Bushings? Bearings? I have some new points that I'm thinking about putting in, but it seems to be running well as is. I got the carbs cleaned and running nice. In the future I will probably get some new exhausts - current ones are looking a bit worse for wear.

What are some things to worry about on these bikes with moderate use and multiple longish journeys? Cam chain tensioner? Points? Should I worry about replacing any electronics? Coils? Rectifier?

I'll be posting multiple pics throughout the week, enjoy, and thanks for any
advice/comments.

--Brendan - 71 CB350

·
Registered
272 Posts
tbpmusic said:
17613-286-000
RUBBER, RR. FUEL TANK (Honda Code 0153460)

Still available from Honda, $8 or $9........
Beat me to it.

Good luck on the restoration. I'm kind of in the same boat. I picked up my bike in June, and I'm finally in a place where I'm riding it almost daily. It's a great feeling to ride to work in the morning knowing if it were for me, that bike would still be collecting dust in someone's garage. I plan on doing a frame-off resto this winter.

I hope to see this project log get real busy when the weather turns.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, thanks for noticing that I don't have the gas tank rubber holder thingy. I couldn't fine one locally, plus it seemed flimsy and sorta useless so I just drilled holes through the tank tab and frame and bolted it down, with a rubber cushion underneath. I was thinking it was sturdier than the original piece...?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Progress update:

Disassembled entire bike, sandblasted all painted pieces, painted w/ rustoleum black - tank, side covers, painted fork pieces got clear coated. Have yet to sand down the clear coat and buff it out. Put on new tires and polished up some chrome - briefly considered polishing engine, but it was too much of a task for a 10 day job for me. Managed to 98% figure out how to rewire the headlight junctions, minus front turn signals. While removing oil filter cover, managed to break off a stuck bolt - got the cover off and realized no tool to remove the oil filter. I will try to get one from the Honda dealer - along with some new brake pads perhaps. Attempted to remove rest of broken off bolt w/ EZ out, and as the story usually goes, now racking brain how to remove broken off EZ out from bolt hole...

Recently moved to Brooklyn, NY - original plan was to get bike looking nice and ride it from VT to NYC but I am thinking I will just ride the bike a bit when back in VT for a week, and just disassemble a bit and put it in the back of the subaru and drive it down. Not sure I'd totally trust it, never having run it more than 50 miles. It needs a bit of a proving period first.

All in all, it still runs, idles, all real nice. I'd like to put new exhausts on there at some point, just waiting for a bit more cash. I'd also like to take time over the winter to polish up the engine and other assorted pieces. Other than that, it runs well provided I have fixed the POR 15 flaking problem, and also looks pretty good now - not a full on restoration but good enough for me for now. When I'm back in VT for a week, just going to torque the bolts per torque spec sheet, put the headlight back on, paint the emblems, see how the clear coat polishes up, get some mirrors, and take it for a ride. In the shop next door, there's also a 60's Triumph available for $900 which I am considering as a potential next project... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
hey brendanmoldy, i keep my cl350 in brooklyn (live in manhattan though), not sure but you might want to check out this website http://www.nycvinmoto.com/. I never thought there would be this many vintage fans in nyc but i guess there are so many people here there are bound to be a few.

not sure where you are in brooklyn but i'm always afraid of street parking, some truck might back into it and turn it into a paperweight.

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey man, thanks for the post - I was wondering if there were any other vintage Honda fans in NYC - I'm around Ocean Parkway and Avenue P in Brooklyn. Where I live I can store the bike in a cinder block shed out back of the apt. I am just moving to NYC from VT and my bike is currently in VT, although I do plan on moving it down to the city ASAP, when I get it running satisfactorily. Let me know if you ever wanna ride.

·
Registered
121 Posts
storage is probably one of the hardest things to get here in nyc, your lucky. I keep my bike in greenpoint. It would be great to ride with someone else who rides vintage here in the city, none of my friends ride (or have cars for that matter, i blame college tuition) so i end up being a lone wolf.

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts