Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help, I have read a ton of different info on setting my points and timing and am still having trouble. I installed new points and condenser on my 71 cb350 and still can not get the left side timing right, the light wont come on till the LT mark and that's with the plate advanced all the way to right after initially setting the gap at .014.!? Right side lights up on the F mark no problem.
Very confused :?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Try closing the gap to .012, and YOU should set the left points first (by rotating the plate)...Lock the plate down and don't move it!.... Then adjust the right point to open on the F, and then check gaps, but don't re-adjust them... Just make sure they are somewhere within the spec range....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Don't feel so bad it took me a good 8 hours to do this too. Just read the tutorial off this site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright I got it timed finally. The spark advance assembly wasnt seating all the way allowing a little bit of play that threw of the timing. now on to the next issues....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to hijack this thread (new here) 71 cb350 just put rings and pistons in and for the life of me I cant get the cam gear an cam to both be in the correct postion (gear with L horizontal and cam pin at 12 o clock position) while the LT line is at top dead center could someone please help me out im a hydraulic/diesel mechanic with tons of experience an this is making feel pretty stupid any replies or private messages would be appreciated or anyone in the omaha area that would give me hand (ill pay for your time) would be very appreciated

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
LT line needs to be aligned with the index mark on the stator, (which means piston at TDC),..... NOT the LT line POSITIONED at the "top" when looking at the engine

Feel free to phone....540-525-5199.....Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lt is aligned where left piston is top dead center rolled the camshaft around so the pin is at 12 o'clock but the L mark on the cam gear is in the 1 o'clock position

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a problem with timing, and it was solved (w the help of the forum) by keeping upward tension on the cam chain so it doesn't skip while putting it back together.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Lt is aligned where left piston is top dead center rolled the camshaft around so the pin is at 12 o'clock but the L mark on the cam gear is in the 1 o'clock position
So, "skip" the chain so the L is in the correct position to bolt sprocket on.....Crank does not move and cam does not move from where they are in alignment.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.