Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

My battery needs replacing and I'm having a hard time getting the seat latch to open. Last time I opened it, a couple years back, it was in working order but now the sucker just will not release. The lever has some play but still won't release the latch. I've tried pushing down on on the seat while pulling up on the seat latch lever but no dice. Any suggestions?

My next move is to pull the pins from the hinges on the opposite side of the seat -- annoying :(

By the way, this is the non-locking (pre-1972 I guess it is) seat latch. See attached picture I grabbed from eBay.

s-l300.jpg

Thanks for advice!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got it open. Took me three separate attempts before I remembered how to do it. For future readers: You don't push up on the hinged black latch (as seen above). There is a separate silver bit to the rear of the black latch which must be pulled towards the rear. If the latch still doesn't open, repeat that movement while pushing down gently on the saddle.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I couldnt't figure out my latch today. What works for me is pulling the silver latch back and then pulling up on the end of the black latch. Pops open now every try.

Crash

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
as I look at bikes for sale on ebay it seems like half of them have broken seat pans where the rear of the seat is angled up where someone tried pulling the seat up to open it without undoing the latch...

·
Registered
249 Posts
The lever on my 71 does nothing that I can see. I use the silver latch behind the lever.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think the lever is supposed to be like the second release on a car hood. That is you pull the the spring loaded "silver lever" and it releases the seat about a half inch and then it is supposed to catch on the black lever until you releases that. Mine secondary release often doesn't catch, so it doesn't work as designed and that may be the case on the bikes above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts