Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have just put the engine back on my bike after doing a piston ring/hone job as well as replacing the cam chain tensioner and now have some unpleasant engine noises that I hope someone with more knowledge of these bikes can help me with. The noise seems to come from the top end and is not so much a 'tapping' or 'knock' but more of a terrible mechanical 'squeak' noise and sounds like the top end is under strain even though it is idling fine. I have set the cam chain tension and valve clearance multiple times and think that this noise is beyond these things. My first instinct was that the top end wasn't being lubricated properly so I checked that the top end is getting oil pumped up and it indeed is. I have attached a video but the sound doesn't seem to come through all too clearly over the loud mufflers the previous owner installed, it can be heard better when I step back towards the end of the video. Ignore the gas tank, I used a spare for testing purposes. If anyone has any expertise or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Top End Noise Video

Furthermore, in my efforts of trying to trace the mysterious noise I noticed that when I turn over the motor via the stator crank I get a distinct 'tick' and a 'jump' in the circular motion at three points. Almost seems like there is a missing tooth on a sprocket somewhere. Not sure if this is normal or not but I couldn't find any information about it and also attached a video showcasing that as well. Not sure if it has anything to do with the top end noise.

distinct 'jump' video

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Hello everyone, I have just put the engine back on my bike after doing a piston ring/hone job as well as replacing the cam chain tensioner and now have some unpleasant engine noises that I hope someone with more knowledge of these bikes can help me with. The noise seems to come from the top end and is not so much a 'tapping' or 'knock' but more of a terrible mechanical 'squeak' noise and sounds like the top end is under strain even though it is idling fine. I have set the cam chain tension and valve clearance multiple times and think that this noise is beyond these things. My first instinct was that the top end wasn't being lubricated properly so I checked that the top end is getting oil pumped up and it indeed is. I have attached a video but the sound doesn't seem to come through all too clearly over the loud mufflers the previous owner installed, it can be heard better when I step back towards the end of the video. Ignore the gas tank, I used a spare for testing purposes. If anyone has any expertise or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Top End Noise Video

Furthermore, in my efforts of trying to trace the mysterious noise I noticed that when I turn over the motor via the stator crank I get a distinct 'tick' and a 'jump' in the circular motion at three points. Almost seems like there is a missing tooth on a sprocket somewhere. Not sure if this is normal or not but I couldn't find any information about it and also attached a video showcasing that as well. Not sure if it has anything to do with the top end noise.

distinct 'jump' video
I can't hear anything but normal valve noise, does it change when you tweak the throttle a tad or touch the electric starter button? The "jump" is normal, one of the valves is closing at that point, spring pressure is pushing on back of a cam lobe and rolling the cam forward. The "tick" is from the camshaft rolling ahead, transferring the slack out of the rear run of the cam chain to the front for a second.

Reactions: ausman1000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response Mike, this morning after mulling the noise over I removed the cam chain tension adjuster just to double check that the cam chain was being tensioned properly. Sure enough when I took it off I noticed that it was installed incorrectly. My engine must have been running with a loose or very very loose cam chain and after installing the tensioner properly my noise and the snapping of the stator crank went completely away. I appreciate the response, cheers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Chain sounds way, way loose. I suspect desintegrating tensioner wheels or a loose tensioner. To me it sounds terrible. Compare it to my bike:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts