Honda Twins banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Two quick questions: Any idea where to get these pliers or did he make them custom?

Also the orings for the rockers go inside the tach/points case or between the case and the motor? Number 17 in the below photo.
THANKS

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
The o-rings go on the rocker shafts under the cam bearing caps, not on the outside. Only the adjustment lock nut and washer is on the outside. The ring compressors he's using are factory Honda tools, they're available on eBay for $100 a pair

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Thanks. Looks like none of those will fit the 350 well. I'll just try my plastic ones.

EDIT: Nvm. Found the 63-66mm set

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
The bottom of the cylinder jugs have a very simple and nice taper to them and ring compressors aren't really required.
Just a gentle nudge and the rings drop into the cylinders easily.
At least they alwasy have for me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
The bottom of the cylinder jugs have a very simple and nice taper to them and ring compressors aren't really required.
Just a gentle nudge and the rings drop into the cylinders easily.
At least they alwasy have for me.
Thank Yendor. I'm just a bit paranoid given that it's my first rebuild. Plus I have a thing for super specific tools. Especially one that might be worth just as much if not more than I paid for it as time passes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Used my tools and got the cylinders on successfully. I’m worried about the gap though. I assume that’s from the o rings and will flatten out when I torque it down? Does this look normal? Images

I tried to press the o rings into the base but they got all wonky. After watching a few videos it looks like no one presses them in the grooves completely?

thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Just did some deep digging and it seems like the aftermarket gasket kits come with orings that are too thick?

So anyone that reads this thread...don't buy gasket kits from common motor or 4into1. Waste of time and money.

OEM Ring part: 91304-287-000...just ordered 2. ~$7 from your dealer

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
I've bought plenty of gaskets from 4into1, it's not that all of the gaskets are bad just because they put the wrong cylinder o-rings in the set. Many gasket sets these days come with o-rings, valve guide seals and sometimes other gaskets that aren't supposed to be in the set, it's not uncommon this long after the bike's production - look at how bad the carb kits can be for the same reason

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
It's been a bit, but I'm finally making a bit more progress. None of the gaskets or o rings I've gotten from the 4into1 kit fit without bowing up in the middle because the holes were slightly off so I've been sourcing OEM replacements. Would've gotten more done but I didn't realize I forgot to remove the old cam box gasket...so I'm soaking that. Should be ready to button up before it gets warm enough to ride up here in Seattle.

·
Super Moderator
22,709 Posts
The Vesrah gasket set I got for mine is working out good except for the 2 cylinder O-rings. Those are too thick, which was expected so the ones I ordered from Honda were used.

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
My experience with gaskets from 4into1 is only that the head gasket often needs the holes for the knock pins (dowels) enlarged slightly so the gasket will sit flat on the cylinders. You can use a dremel to carefully enlarge the holes in the direction they need while keeping the sealing ring for the head centered over the cylinders properly

81 - 92 of 92 Posts