Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm the proud new custodian of a 1971 CB175. I got it running well before the winter, and the spring reveals a leaky tank. Alas. Find a tank for this specific model is difficult without spening gobs of money. Can you all tell me what other tanks might fit on my new beloved? I've searched high and low and can't seem to find what would fit. I'd love a bolt-on solution or minimal mods... Will 350 tanks fit? Any insights?

Thanks in advance...

-tod

·
Registered
641 Posts
Tod, first you should go to new members section and introduce yourself. Let us know where your from, what bike you have. Then start a project log, there your problems and questions can get answers.
That said, you can fit any tank with enough time and money!
I just posted in for sale a clist find in milwaukee for the 175. But tanks can be repaired and sealed rather cheaply. I have repaired mine several times, pin holes from being left out in the weather by PO. And i use brass shim stock and JB Weld to cover and plug them. Then i use red coat tank liner for the inside. It works very well, just follow instructions.
And with a project log, youll get way more attention to help with it.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Any other year cb175 will work best then any year cl175 or cd175 then a cb200 but you'll require more work the further you go from stock
Simon is in principle correct EXECPT for the "Sloper" model tanks..... These fitted a completely different frame than the Vertical engines, and require some "hammer" adjustments for clearance to the tunnel to install on the later frames.......But it can be done...

CL77 look 175.jpg

Reactions: oupa

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
You really need to get the matching seat with whichever alternative tank you might find, but be aware that later bikes, K6 onward and all the CB200s, have a side hinged seat that won't fit the K4 frame.

That said, a CL175 K7 tank fits the CB175K4 reasonably well with the original K4 seat. Can't find my photo of this …

Found it.

20170904_163414.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
I too have been searching for some decent 71 CB175 tanks to only find a few available or like you said, insane amounts for some NOS ones. I have a pinhole in mine near the top that I'm currently worried about and also just worry about the overall thickness of that area. I did buy a tank sealing kit from Caswell Plating online (haven't used it yet). I didn't do a search in this forum but it seems most people are happy with it and it says it'll fix small holes or weeping seams. Prep is where you make it or break it, it seems. Something to consider before dropping a bunch of money on a new or ill-fitting tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts