Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Recently swapped out my 70 engine for a 71 on my SL350. Progress is good except for the clutch adjustment. Basically set the cable close to slack, and the adjuster so that the cam is about mid way. All seems fine for awhile and then with clutch lever pulled in something "pops/derails" so that the cable goes slack and doesn't work. I pulled it apart a couple of times trying to find something obvious but it looks ok?
I have been doing videos of the project and the video below #6 will show how I have the adjuster. The only thing I'm wondering is if the one ball bearing in the "spaceship" trio is popping out and then back in

Clutch work starts around 5:15 of the video

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The cable is pulling the lifter arm too far. Back off the cable adjustment ALL the way and adjust the lifter for just a hair of running clearance. Then adjust the cable for the desired free play.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep-- follow the clutch adjustment procedure (in the sticky on this forum) and the clutch angels will sing from on high. The CL I'm working to get back on the road right now was sidelined by this very problem back in 1995-- before the miracle of the Interwebs. I messed with the clutch adjuster-- hell, I didnt know what it was!-- when I was replacing the chain and sprockets. Spent Saturday nights with a couple fairly knowledgeable guys drinking beer and trying to get the clutch to not "pop", it went on for over a month and we gave up. Poor CL sat in the back of the shed for over 20 years, a lost cause. I was cleaning out junk and got to wondering about that clutch issue. Found this site, fixed it in minutes (literally) and now I'm doing some rather major repairs to get it rolling again!

Good luck and happy wrenching!

Jim B.
Grove City, OH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts