Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this 1970 SL 175 running pretty good now but don't get to ride much now due to winter. The last two times I rode it I had an oil leak where the cases come together. It's not a severe leak but enough to run down the engine and drip on the exhaust pipes right where they come together. While I'm riding it's not much of a problem but when I stop it makes allot of smoke. Does anyone know how to seal this without doing a complete rebuild? I would like to have it rebuilt at some point, just not right now. Also I don't think I have a problem but can someone tell the signs of the engine running a little hotter than normal.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
A picture of the area might lead to a clue, but the cam chain tensioner is the first thing that comes to mind. If the sealing washer is not on the tensioner lock nut or the o-ring on the tensioner shaft is bad, it might look like it's coming out between the case halves

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Ancient dad for getting back on this. I don't believe it's coming from the cam chain tensioner but that is something I didn't really look at. The next time I run it i'll take a look at that.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Agree with Tom on those possibles if the leak is at the front of the engine, oil can also "sneak" down the front from the top cover or tappet ports....
If its at/towards the rear, I'd SUSPECT fuel thinned oil is spraying on the cases from the breather hose, then dripping down onto the pipes
Thinned oil would also account for running hot.....and it can "seep" past a gasket that would normally be a barrier to just oil....
Whatever the cause, it won't hurt to check for fuel-thinned oil first......Its a major cause of 175 engine failure....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts