Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody I posted my bike for sale because I wanted to give up on this mystery fuse blowing issue. But I'm not for sale post a lot of people were mentioning that it wouldn't be too hard to get the bike started if I figured out what was causing the fuse to blow. This is my first motorcycle and although I have a decent knowledge of cars and how to work on them I haven't done any work on motorcycles prior to this and I'm not professional with wiring.

Needless to say I'm giving it a shot. My bike randomly died about a week after I bought it while I was coasting down a hill I put in a new fuse after realizing that it was popped and it immediately popped a fuse as soon as I went to turn the key. No lights no horn no nothing when I turn the key to the firdt postion the fuse immediately pops.

So far I've done all the usual things I cleaned all the terminals I clean the grounds I made sure the battery was okay which it seems to be reads well over 12 volts. Now I got the tank off and I've unplugged every single wire that I could find under the tank and under the battery and the only wire that I have connected and the only one that I connect is the one that goes straight from the starter with the inline fuse to the ignition switch. I have also looked at other posts for several hours to gather some info.

I have to wait a week for the ignition switch to come in the mail and I figured in the meantime I would try to get more ideas if this didn't work. I also ordered a starter solenoid because the one that was on there right now was rusty and old-looking.

The only question I have other than trying to find more ideas of what could be causing the short is, is it unheard of for a battery to be causing a short because I did jump it with my car when I thought it was dead; Or is it possible for the actual lock cylinder where the key goes in and all those connections to be causing a short?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Am I understanding correctly that the fuse still blows with everything but the starter disconnected? Hopefully someone better at electrical than me can tell you what to test with a meter

If your cb175 is anything like a cb160, there's a whole bunch of wires inside the headlight and a rubber ring that protects them from rubbing on the metal edge of the headlight bucket. If that rubber ring has disintegrated and the wires have been rubbbing you could be shorting out wires there. I could also see them rubbing where they come out of the handlebars under the controls. Those two places would be good to look while you wait.

Not sure about a cl175 but if it's easy to open up your control switches (2 screws on a 160) then it's probably worth doing to make sure everything is normal and clean them up while you're there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I wonder, do all the connection in the headlight turn on when j turn the key to the first position. If not I don't have to unplug them to see if they are causing the issue?

I did check all the wires in the headlight and they all seem fine I have the whole hardness apart at this point except what going into the handle bars. That's probably going to be the last place I check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check that one out! I was going to buy a new seloniod and ignition cylinder. Is that worth while? Do those short out or is that very unlikely.

I may be handed it to a professional here soon I'm running out of ideas. But since I only paid 1000 for it I figure if they can get it run for 200 it'll be worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts