Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post, I am located in Ithaca, New York. (Upstate Finger Lakes region)

Bought bought this bike a few weeks ago, but have to move on, it ran perfectly up until it didn't. I was pulling up to a stop sign and it puttered out. I have no idea why.

I am not a mechanic and for all I know it's an easy fix, the bike itself is in good shape, new tires, plugs, wires, oil change stator, brakes. All the bulbs, battery and everything else worked perfectly. It only has 9200 miles on it after all.

I have the title in hand, I paid $1200 for it just want to cut my losses and move on. I am open offers so message me at [email protected]. This bike is worth upwards of that in mint condition. and I doubt it would take over $400 to fix to get it up there. It would be great for parts, or to fix and flip/keep/

I have already spent countless hours on these forums trying to track down some issues that would keep it from starting back up and finding out why it would mysteriously die but I don't have the time or money to fix this. I really hope someone can take this off my hands and give it new life. I will be posting pics shortly! I'll be honest if I knew or someone knew a quick fix I would be happy to keep it. the battery is charged, butnothing comes on, the fuse is fine, but t won't turn over, and I can't pop start it.

Anyway, that's all the information I have about it. I open to offers within reason. but I am already loosing $400.

Please message me with any questions!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't give up, asking these guys on this forum should help. They are absolute genius about these bikes, and share their vast knowledge freely. You could probably hold up a screw and they'll tell you what it goes to. Introduce yourself and ask a question in the forum. See where it goes?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Since youll get more money for it if it runs
What's actually wrong with it
1.Get rid of the sintered bronze fuel filters , they are too restrictive for a 175 with gravity fed carbs, and if the bike mysteriously dies and then starts again 5 min later ...that's the carbs not fulling with gas fast enough because of those filters

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Do you get any electricals on?
Side light, tail light, brake light?
If you have lost an earth, to the battery perhaps, then you are going to get no spark.

Nice bike, I’d be interested but you are the wrong side of the pond for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
State of the Bike

So! it does not turn over, nothing turns on, when I put the key in, turn it to the first position the main fuse pops, I've spent a few hours checking the ignition and other places to see if a hot wire is grounded, or if a ground it not set.

Everything seemed fine. I does have an electric start, but oddly enough its an aftermarket one.

When I try to pop start it. nothing, kick start it, nothing. it is as if i never put the key in the bike. I assume this is because the fuse blows every time I try to turn it over. I would love to keep the bike! and I'm pretty car savvy (with Subarus in particular) but I know very little about these bikes and may just cut my losses due to the mysterious nature of these electrical problems. If it needed tries, brakes, a paint job, or the carb was clogged, I would for sure fix it, but this doesn't seem worth it :(

Thank you all for the help, and interest!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This sounds like it should be a simple electrical fix... but they never seem to be do they!

If you cannot have the ignition ‘on’ without blowing the fuse, the bike won’t run, without power to the coil it won’t spark.

I am guessing you have a multimeter?
You need to disconnect the battery leads, put a fuse in, ignition on and check continuity between +VE terminal and ground, you’ll likely ‘buzz/bell’ showing a short to ground. Now work your way down the +VE wiring and find the short.

First place I’d look is the wiring into the engine case that goes to/from the stator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I check for continuity without the battery being plugged in? At the moment I have all the wires pulled apart I was going to pkuf them one by one until I found the issue. I have a much more detailed post in the electrical thread dissuccion if you care to read that, leave a comment! And let me know if I'm on the right track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts