Honda Twins banner

Would you buy this bike for $1,000? Knowing all I have described about it.

1970 Honda CB175, is it worth a $1,000?

20K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Brent 
#1 · (Edited)
So I recently came across a gentleman who is selling a 1970 Honda CB175. He is asking a $1,000 for it and I've been thinking of investing into it. This would be my first bike so I'm just getting into bikes and what to look for when purchasing from Private Party. But I'm just not believing that the motorcycle is worth that much. If anybody who knows these bikes can give me some help that would be awesome.
BAD
The most important information about the bike he says that it still has all the original parts on it besides the mirrors are missing but it has been sitting idle for at least 20 or so years. !He lost the keys for the motorcycle to I can not test it! It's missing the side mirrors. Going to need new battery, New tires, new cables. The front headlight mount is slightly dented and minor rust on some spots of the bike. It does have a few dents/ scratches but possible fixable. And also the heavy faded body paint on one side of the bike has me thinking its been stored outside partially to get sun baked.
GOOD
Some really good info to consider also is it only has 8,200 miles on it.
And also he says he does have the title for the bike as well.
He says it turns over when kicked.

The main thing is how much of a risk am i taking with there being no keys?
Is it a risk to take cause the bike is at a good price or should it be lower price?
Here are some pictures.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Motorcycle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport
Gauge Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Tachometer

See less See more
#2 ·
So I recently came across a gentleman who is selling a 1970 Honda CB175. He is asking a $1,000 for it and I'm thinking up picking it up but I'm not sure if its worth that much. If anybody who knows these bikes can give me some help that would be awesome.
The most important information about the bike he says that it still has all the original parts on it besides the mirrors are missing but it has been sitting idle for at least 20 or so years. He lost the keys for the motorcycle to I can not test it. it is missing the side mirrors. Going to need new battery, New tires, new cables. The headlight mount is slightly dented and minor rust on some spots of the bike. It does have a few dents/ scratches but i believe i could fix them.
Some really good info to consider also is it only has 8,200 miles on it.
And also he says he does have the title for the bike as well.
The main thing is how much of a risk am i taking with there being no keys?
Is it a risk to take cause the bike is at a good price or should it be lower price?
Here are some pictures
I wouldn't consider the keys to be an issue, that's not a difficult fix. It's a little high a price for it, but it is seemingly complete and original - which is far more preferable. Having the keys would only be a first step toward learning anything about the engine, since the carbs are going to be gummed up and would need cleaned and it would need a new battery before any possibility of running it. Pull the dipstick and take a close look at the oil on it, and smell for gas in the oil as well.

#3 ·
If it has not been run in 20 yrs, it may need a lot of work to
get it running.
Seems like it is worth 500 with all the question marks. You will need to get it safetied.
Check the gas tank for rust as well.

Reactions: mtnmatt
#4 ·
You will need a battery, carbs &maybe tank cleaned, new tires & brakes no doubt.
It can add up quick.
Does it turn over when kicked?

#6 ·
No title, not running, and no way to tell if it can run. I wouldn't go more than $400 (but that's just me and my opinion, it's worth what you're wanting to pay for it).

#8 ·
You might be paying a "trend tax" depending on where you live, or the seller might want $700 and is expecting to be talked down? I would just keep in mind the costs associated with getting it running, assuming every individual project is going to be $50-100. It's not a $1000 bike, but a $1500 bike, you know? Rough numbers, a new ignition switch might be $25 (for new keys), mirrors are $15-40, battery is $45-80, cables are about $15 a piece with shipping. Personality, I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a bike I couldn't test ride.

#19 ·
This gentleman is pretty adamant about the bike being worth $1K(compared to auction prices he has seen/research, but nothing close to anything that is the same in quality or work needed to his bike). Ive talked to him ones before about a $500 dollar price point, but doesn't budge a bit on lower. Saying he has other people interested but still he has no one buying for about 3 months now.
Truthfully he is actually selling the bike for someone that is unable to do so, he is making the money for that person but he also wants to make himself some money also for for doing the work, per his actual words. He has actually already made a couple hundred from some people who made deposits for a temporary hold but never returned within 30 days.
But I'm looking now on all possible parts that may need replacing and materials to do so as oils, tools, etc.
I do plan on working on this myself on majority of work as a fun project but on more serious work i will have to taker it in.
I plan to be patient but also adamant that I'm not paying $1K, or anything over $700.

Thanks so much for your advice, it has really helped me to know I'm not just being cheap wanting a lower price.

#10 ·
When I looked at the pics you posted here it looks like a good bike aside from some faded paint,etc.The issue w/ the key is very easy to get even using your same ign. switch,very simple($12).I would see if you could ask the owner of the CB175 if he would let you do a full check on the condition(quick squirt of WD40 into ea. cyl. and then kick it over a few good times w/o the plugs in it and then do a compression test w/ throttle wide open and choke open)of it including the items that have already been mentioned.Do you live in a humid or dry area ?
The owner may look the bike over w/ you so that you can both get a good idea of it's true condition and then possibly make him a reasonable offer on it.
The bike is looking good to me ;)

#11 ·
Do a search on craigslist for old hondas in your area to see
what they are worth and you may find none or maybe one you
like better.

#18 · (Edited)
Overtime i have looked I've seen a few but they are completely remodeled ones selling for over $2K. or if they are cheap for under $500 they are usually with more were in tear throughout the body. The inability on this bike with no keys is what makes it a hard choice. The bike is in pretty good shape that could be a relatively easy fix but unable to test the motor and everything is the set back. I hope to get it down to $700? But $500-$600 is my end goal but don't think likely.
Thanks again for the advice.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Lift up the seat and connect a jumper wire from the black wire connection at turn signal flasher to the battery post, that will power up the ignition circuit. Hook up a fresh battery and add some gas. It may run(most likely it won't after all those years), if it doesn't run you can bargain the price down lower.

#14 ·
Not worth a grand to me either. He said it kicks over -- but have you checked that? You could be getting into compression issues (rings, valves), could be valve damage, the paint is faded, and you should do the checks that others have suggested, i.e. inside of tank. Look or run your finger (carefully -- peeling chrome will cut the **** out of your finger) to see if the exhaust has holes or corrosion on the underside.

Basically -- it doesn't pass the "if it's not gonna run could I part it out and make my money back" test. Maybe a $400-500 bike -- unless you are in NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.

Reactions: ctrider
#16 ·
This bike will need a lot of work, all of the bearings, wheels, swing arm, center stand, and steering neck will need to be serviced. Then the rubber seals, engine and forks will be suspect. It will need tires. After all of that, think about what you will have, a classic old Honda. A CB175 is a fine old bike, but it is just that. It will be fine for around town and slower back roads. It will be wound out on the freeway and very tiring to ride. They are collectible to the right person, but I would not use it as a primary bike. Put a rack on the back and it would be a great beer runner.

#22 ·
Matt - I think your $700 number is about right especially since it does have a title. Parts can be found and repairs made. I would certainly check compression of the engine and free movement of cylinders and gears to assess the repairs needed. You will likely need a full rebuild as its been sitting for far too long - clutch, rings, carb, electrics, bulbs, battery, cables, tires, points. If it was my buy/build I would budget at least $1500 + bike cost to get this bike up and road worthy.

#25 ·
I think 1500 is a good starting point unless things go wrong. If you can get away with it for now doesnt mean in a few hundred miles you wont need to do it. I know I ran into a bunch of problems but I am inexperienced and the motor I have in mine is (in my opinion) junk. Drove that cost up though

#26 ·
I don't think the OP has stated how he plans to use the bike or do with it. It would only be an in town commuter in my opinion if it's to be a daily rider. If he plans on any highway riding he'll be disappointed soon, especially if he's over 200 lbs as well. As a collector it appeals to me, because I know how hard it is to find an early CB175 all original with what looks like good mufflers (very prone to rot out early). If it was in my area it wouldn't last a day, before it sold. That's an easy restoration from my perspective. Like I said 800 unseen and I'd snag it.

#27 ·
There you go. I would call hin up and say you don't want to drive for 2 hours
unless you can come to an agreement over the phone. Offer him 700. He will
probably counter with 900 and you can settle on 800.00
give him a list of all things needing replacing. Good luck.

Reactions: mtnmatt
#28 ·
I got my bike in similar condition on December 2016, started working on it mid January. Like yours, my bike had not been started since the 80's and had sat in a barn since. I created a blog today for friends and family to see. Maybe it will help you get an idea of what you are up against. In the end I thought it was worth it. Yours looks in better condition, but I paid less. Here is the blog: https://cl350blog.wordpress.com/

#29 · (Edited)
The price of $1000 is a good price to negotiate from as you speak w/ the present owner.Have you gone over and done any close inspection of the bike ?

I'm 60 yrs. old now and I need to remember that $1K was worth much more back when I was younger and these vintage Honda's were running around all over the place.The same $1K has had inflation hit it over the yrs. and it doesn't have the same value as it used to.That CB175 looks like a good value to me from where I sit right now;Go over there and take a look,ok ?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.