Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright the new year is started so I'm back at it with my rebuild on my 1970 CL450.
I bought a set of used '74 complete forks so I could upgrade - laying them next to my '70 ones you can see the top bolt locations on the lowers are different. Looking at online parts doesn't help much - the fenders look the same and it's hard to tell differences on the fork lowers. I thought these were drop in replacements - can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers

DW

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You might need the '73-74 fenders to go with it. The fork tubes and internals are different too. Make sure the fork tubes are the same OD. The bikes may look the same from the "outside," but many of the parts were changed. Also check the way the front brake interfaces with the slider and the anti-rotation link to between the brake back plate and fork tube. It would be a good idea to make a part number cross reference chart for both models. Keep up posted on the outcome. You are adding to the collective knowledge base.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
As you are finding out, they're different forks.
However, both are 35 mm, and all 450's use the same lower triple tree clamp and stem, but different top clamps.
Complicating things further, the instrument brackets are different and unique to that top clamp.
Fenders are also different.
A complete front end swap would be less painful, meaning fender/brake/forks/clamps. instruments bracket/instruments.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts