Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1970 CL450 and it's having an issue with the taillight that I'm trying to figure out.. The taillight comes on when the key is in the park position and when the bike is running without the headlight on, but anytime I turn the headlight on, the taillight turns off. Also, the brake light comes on with the handbrake but not the foot brake. The bulb is good considering I just replaced it and both the running light and brake lights come on, just not all the time. Any ideas on why turning the headlight on might switch the taillight off? Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would start off with a spray can of contact cleaner at the ignition switch and then the rear brake switch. If that doesn't work, get your circuit tester, roll up your sleeves, and start checking for conductivity. It is very rewarding when you finally solve the problem !

·
Sensei
27,005 Posts
Within the headlight switch a connection (Black to brown/white) should be being made when the headlight is on, BUT NOT when it is off......
Something is amiss there as your taillight should NOT be on EXCEPT when the headlight is.....
Check ALL the brown wire and brown/white wire connections on the bike...(in R/H switch, headlight shell, and ignition switch)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts