Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I don't want to sound unsympathetic or mean, but in its current form/style I personally wouldn't give $3000 for it... despite the overall good look of the bike, there are many non-stock parts I personally wouldn't care for (the exhaust is the least of it, no issue there) and unless you find someone who is interested in a scrambler with no front fender or gauges on it and who isn't concerned with the amount of deviation from stock components... and if they wanted those stock components on it they'd have to do it themselves, not often how people choose to buy a bike. Put differently, I think the bike would only sell for around $2000 to maybe $2500 here in Florida. I paid $1900 for my used CL450K5 3 years ago and he wanted $2200 for it, and it was all original except for paint job but things may well be different in your area

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well, I think you won’t get back what you’ve put in a bike in most cases. I‘m sorry; it doesn’t help but it’s what is is.
I‘ve paid 2500$ for a 98% stock CB450 with original paint and in excellent condition in Virginia. EI is the 2% ;-)
I hope you‘ll sell that bike for a good price though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, this is the exact type of input I'm looking for.

The bike was never ridden without a front fender. I should throw that back on there for a better picture.

What kind of aftermarket stuff scares off buyers? The Mikuni carbs, Pamco elec ignition? The stock carbs where thrashed so I tossed those years ago. Can't imagine the Hagon rear shocks would be a concern. I could throw the factory headlight bucket, fork ears, taillight, and side covers back on there fairly easily.

Always appreciate the advice. Love this bike but it's time to move on.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic or mean, but in its current form/style I personally wouldn't give $3000 for it... despite the overall good look of the bike, there are many non-stock parts I personally wouldn't care for (the exhaust is the least of it, no issue there) and unless you find someone who is interested in a scrambler with no front fender or gauges on it and who isn't concerned with the amount of deviation from stock components... and if they wanted those stock components on it they'd have to do it themselves, not often how people choose to buy a bike. Put differently, I think the bike would only sell for around $2000 to maybe $2500 here in Florida. I paid $1900 for my used CL450K5 3 years ago and he wanted $2200 for it, and it was all original except for paint job but things may well be different in your area

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's because it doesn't quite look enough like a cafe racer or scrambler build like on instagram, to attract those buyers. And it won't attract buyers that want a stock bike (like the people here on the forum).

If I were you I would put the fender and side covers back on, and take some more dynamic photos, outdoors.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's because it doesn't quite look enough like a cafe racer or scrambler build like on instagram, to attract those buyers. And it won't attract buyers that want a stock bike (like the people here on the forum).

If I were you I would put the fender and side covers back on, and take some more dynamic photos, outdoors.
I think this comment sums it up, and I'd add that the stock gauges, headlight/ears and taillight would change the look back to stock enough instead of a less-attractive middle ground as Jake mentioned. I'd also tighten up the wiring and cables... IMO, the non-factory switches with the wires drooping off the bars is another area I'd not care for if I were looking at it (especially for the $3000 price). And you might as well put the stock chain guard back on as well, since at that point it will be so close to completely stock again that it would look odd without it. Aftermarket carbs and shocks are not an issue and I think that any educated buyer would understand that.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Just my 2 cents but this is how I see it. Bikes that usually attract buyers are either very customized and unique looking or are stock condition.

Your bike currently fits neither categories and the looks is a bit confused as suggested by Jake above.
It might be best to put back all the stock parts and trying for the stock look.

How do the headers look under the exhaust wrap? If they are in decent shape then perhaps you should take the black wrap off also. A lot of people do not care for the exhaust wrap look, myself included.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think the bike looks much better and more valuable now but that’s just my personal opinion. I guess most HT members would agree though.
Another thing is that you changed the picture in your initial post rather than posting an update with new pictures. So this thread doesn’t make sense to anyone who hasn’t read it until you’ve edited it. This might cause confusion in the following comments.
Ok, now everyone knows...
The only things I would also change is adding front turn signals, because it’s easy and cheap and makes it complete and maybe add a speedo. I guess you had a reason not to add the gauges. They were perhaps broken or beaten up, but aftermarket speedos are not too expensive and even the most basic ones fit that style.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wow it already looks much better in my opinion. Now I'd say get fork ears and decals.. but then I'm just putting it back to stock.

Since you've had it up for a while, I would definitely take it down and try again with new photos and new description. When I've had a bike up for a while that's what I do so we can all pretend it's a new bike, not one that's been up for months.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I agree, the bike looks 10 times better now than it was previously.
One more thing I would suggest is to put back the stock gauges or any gauges for that matter since I don't see any in the pics posted.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^agree, except for the missing retainer screws in the side covers... and again, just my personal feelings, but those headlight ears make the forks look too bare and makes the headlight seem to protrude more than stock. Gauges would help too, absolutely

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I agree with Tom on the headlight. Yeah, it'll look stock but Honda did a pretty good job IMO of making a good looking bike. Front fender and side covers made a good improvement.
Weather is supposed to be nice and warm for the next couple of weeks so maybe that will help. Maybe ride over to See See Coffee Saturday and hang out there awhile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great looking bike and reasonable price but the no speedo/mileage, mirrors, tach would be a deal breaker for me. At the end of the day it will be mostly a road bike.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Great looking bike and reasonable price but the no speedo/mileage, mirrors, tach would be a deal breaker for me. At the end of the day it will be mostly a road bike.

Agreed. I don't think this is even legal to drive on the streets without at least a speedometer.

EDIT -- Looks like a speedometer is not a requirement in Oregon

https://team-oregon.org/resources/motorcyclelaws/

That said, it may still be a deal breaker for most potential buyers.
Hard to argue a speeding ticket in court when you don't have a speedometer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts