Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Honda twins. As the topic states I have a 1970 CL350, I am in the process of getting it to run. I had it running about 4 years ago. It seems to run fine except when coming to a stop. Needed to constantly be on the thottle in order to keep it going. I noticed the battery wasn’t charging well and a friend of mine mentioned it could be a rectifier issue. Any help would be great. I’m also looking for any good websites to purchase after market parts for the bike. Was thinking of replacing the air filters and can’t seem to find many options out there or maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. Thanks

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
They don't run well with a weak battery, and don't charge well at lower speeds, especially if the lights are on. If you're looking for OEM air filters, David Silver Spares has the best price on them. For aftermarket parts, I've used 4into1 (my favorite), David Silver Spares, Common Motor Collective, Dime City, and Sirius Consolidated. Check around in these sites for the best prices, though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
David Silver Spares can supply you with parts ,especially air filters for your bike. (no affiliation what so ever )

Oops ! 83XLXbeatme to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. The bike didn’t run at all when I got it. I took the carbs apart and cleaned them out good and cleaned the tank also and pulled the petcock and cleaned that. Also bought a new battery. I’m assuming that the rectifier would cause the bike to not charge well and then make the battery weak???
And I’ve thought about putting air pods on and re-jetting the carbs but don’t know where to get a re-jet kit and should I just stick with stock filters. Kind of wanting to go with a cafe look on the bike. Thanks

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
There are various aftermarket parts available that can improve the charging system, so if you think that's the problem, there are solutions. A word to the wise - go with new stock air filters if yours need replacing. The popular small pod filters are a tuning nightmare when used with these old CV carbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the wiring near the battery? The rectifier is there and the battery and this small solenoid looking thing. Wires look like they have kind of been cobbled together, might be another culprit of the bike not charging well.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the wiring near the battery? The rectifier is there and the battery and this small solenoid looking thing. Wires look like they have kind of been cobbled together, might be another culprit of the bike not charging well.
If the charging system is still original, there will be a rectifier and a voltage regulator (separate units) and of course, for the electric start, there will be a starter solenoid. Look here for more information on them.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl350-scrambler-1970-k2-usa_model547/partslist/F++24.html#.Wv2E_WeWy00

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cl350-scrambler-1970-k2-usa-batteryselenmagnetic-switch_bighu0028f4024_092b.gif

Your best improvement to the charging system for the least expense is to a modern combination rectifier/regulator. There are many available out there like Sparck Moto, Rick's, Oregon Cycle (which I'm using on my 450), even a Kohler unit and others

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a new rectifier the other day, just waiting on that to come in. I’ll get some pics up on here to show you all what I’m talking about with the cobbled wires. Thanks again for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts