Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fire is going, the beer is cold, lets get to it.....

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
That fork tube aint looking too good, good luck on that.
My 71 CL350 had a blown fork seal and a bent tube. There was no fork oil in my right & bent tube and there was only one ounce of sludge in the left tube.
The pitting was not in the seal's area of travel, I was able to fix the bent tube on a press and use it again with new fork seals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oil was definatly "chunky" luckly the tube itself isn't pitted. On another note did you go up in oil weigt or keep it stock?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Midland, I'm up in Lovettsville with a "driver" '73 CB350. One winter project is to redo an extra tank I have. If your tank needs POR-15 let me know as I have extra.

Fasterspider, I am also wondering about what oil to use on my '73 forks. I went to the dealer and was puzzled by the number of choices.

Larry

·
Registered
785 Posts
Midland Mayhem said:
The oil was definatly "chunky" luckly the tube itself isn't pitted. On another note did you go up in oil weigt or keep it stock?
Back when these bikes were made, they used ATF as fork oil. Now modern ATF eats up modern fork seals.
I put I think 6 or 7 ounces into each fork of 10wt fork oil in.
They do not hold much but, the ride improvement was unbelievable with the little bit of oil called for in the FSM.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I can understand why Honda sometimes specified ATF as a better dampener than engine oil, but if there is any doubt what to use, I would default to engine oil.

And the headlight bucket--OMG, what were they thinking? :lol: Both my CT90 and CL350 are such spaghetti.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First and foremost this site will be my entry training to online networking, so i'm not sure what proper layouts and all the other gizmoes, I'll limp through i guess....let me know if i'm f-in up....
question #1
(If your tank needs POR-15 let me know as I have extra.)
(What is POR-15)
Queation #2
From what I gather i need to repalace the rectifier I've seen diffrent types and brands, can some recomend the one i need to get?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
POR 15 is a tank cleaning/relining system/product....
Only defective rectifiers need to be replaced... Is your definately bad?... How did you test it?...

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Yep...Smells like dead fish....... Fish oil is what Honda used stock back in the day....
(I can't find a smiley holding his nose!) :shock:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1.Think I'll go with 10wt "canola" :lol: Can anyone give the actual travel distance under load, four inches up from the seal on the fork there light scratches....Sand with 1500 grit sandpaper or S-can the tube and get another..
2."Only defective rectifiers need to be replaced... Is your definately bad?... How did you test it?..." Is it true what I’ve read about the old style rectifiers will not support the charging with the headlight continuously on?
3. OEM engine gaskets?? Or are aftermarket ???

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Travel is 3.5 to 4" on good bounces.... Sanding forks is not acceptable except to remove rust between the trees.....
You are misinformed.. The charging circuit is in "overcharge" mode when the headlight is on and uses all 6 available windings as opposed to 4 with the lights off.
It IS easy to damage the "old-style" orange finned selenium rectifiers, but the newer one plugs right in its place.... Charging MUST be checked with a KNOWN GOOD BATTERY in circuit (DC) but the AC output can be checked with the alternator unplugged from the main harness (still need a good battery to keep the bike running).... I buy OEM headgaskets IF available, there are aftermarket ones... The rest, I cut....Aftermarket quality varies by manufacturer.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's picture day...
Sprint 66 thanks to the guidance...By the way your Handel makes me chuckel every time, Its what I do here in Nova Mon-Fri....

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picture day cont.
5 pic max...damit

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the pick of the night.....It brought me back to the days of keg beer and Taco Bell...I don't miss those Sunday afternoons one bit....! :lol:

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
"It's picture day...
Sprint 66 thanks to the guidance...By the way your Handel makes me chuckel every time, Its what I do here in Nova Mon-Fri...."

I don't "get" it.....66Sprint is a reference to this.......

...My 1966 Harley-Davidson (Aermacchi) Sprint C model......
How do you DO that?.... :lol: Steve

1 - 20 of 32 Posts