Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

First time poster and first time bike owner here. I've been in the process of getting my 1970 CD175 up and running and I'm somewhat stumped at this point. The main problem I'm trying to solve is that my bike won't idle without at least a little bit of choke on. I tried removing the air box to see if that was the problem and no dice. Cleaned out and rebuilt the carb a couple times and that didn't change anything. Cable routing seems good.

Most recently I've tried replacing the battery with a new Yuasa 6v. Lo and behold, after fully charging the battery, the bike idled beautifully! Before turning it on, I was reading 6.4v on the battery and at idle, it went up to 6.5v. In my excitement, I shut it off and ran inside to grab my gear and take it for a spin. When I came back, same issue as before!! This makes me feel like something is wrong with the electrical system (and I think at idle the voltage reading should be higher). Any thoughts on what might be going on and what to test next?

Thanks!!

EDIT: forgot to add that giving it too much throttle when it's running chokes it out and the revs drop. Also of note is that the neutral light stopped working recently - cleaned off the switch and still no luck. Don't know if it's related but wanted to give all the info I have!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disassembled it and let it sit for about 20 minutes after spraying with carb cleaner. Then used a set of carb cleaning brushes to clean up the cavities and small parts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I disassembled it and let it sit for about 20 minutes after spraying with carb cleaner. Then used a set of carb cleaning brushes to clean up the cavities and small parts.
I'd suggest blowing out all the ports with an air compressor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I haven't worked on a CD175, but here are a few suggestions. Sorry if these are dumb questions:

- Are you sure it's a 6v system? I googled the model a little and see the CB175 is a 12v bike.
- You said you removed the airbox and checked it. Is it correct that the airbox is back on the bike and there's an in tact air filter inside it?
- Have you cleaned and blown out both carbs? Have you adjusted the idle screw? (#7 on the parts list, I think)
- Have you checked the big o ring that seals the engine side of the carb to the intake port? (#1 on the parts list, I think)
- Have you checked the petcock to make sure fuel is flowing smoothly?
- You said the neutral light is off. Really obvious, but are you sure you're in neutral?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts