Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Lonnnnng time lurker and have yet to post, until now. I'm working on a K3 CB450 and while going over the starter motor/sprocket/etc I made the mistake of misreading the torque specs on the hex bolt (13*) that holds the plate (3*) that holds the sprocket (2*) in place and stripped the threads on the case =(. I cannot tell you just how upset I was with myself when this happened.

As such, I need to perform thread repair on this; Bike Bandit lists this bolt as a hex 6x12 and I want to make sure I'm getting the right kit/brand, any suggestions? As a weird aside, my sprocket plate does no look like the one pictured, instead it is more forked in design.

*Photos attached for reference.

I appreciate any and all information and thank you for being such a wealth of knowledge on previous projects I've worked on and found answers to here =).

Motor vehicle Font Auto part Diagram Automotive exterior Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle brake Rim

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Run a 1/4X20 tap into the hole and insert a suitable length course thread quarter inch allen-headed screw. Or you can buy a 6mm heli-coil kit and use a new 6mm bolt.

Reactions: spitfire151

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I've used heli-coils with great success on my engine. You just have to take it slow, so you don't crack the aluminum; some thread-tapping lube also helps.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
I had a similar decision to make once, about a failed M-6 bolt in a critical spot. There wasn't much surrounding material. I put together a little matrix to compare alternative repair methods.

Reactions: spitfire151
1 - 9 of 9 Posts