Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting my build log up here. Bike is home, and finally up on the lift.

Got my clymer manual, printed out the parts catalog, as well as the shop manual.

Going right for the heart, my first step will be to get the engine out, start the tear down, and make some decisions on new pistons and cam shaft upgrades. Then decide who I'm gonna send the parts out to.

My initial thoughts are as follows:
- megacam x5 with Delta can doing the grinding and rework the rockers.
- Schuman motor works to redo the cylinder heads with new springs, valves, gaskets, and valve guides.
- THR 66mm pistons
- mikuni 30mm carbs

I have a local machine shop five minutes from my house, which is pretty reputable, going to look at them to bore out my cylinders.

Engine tear down and rebuild is my main goal for this summer, and in-between getting down to the bare frame for powder coating.

Really appreciate the suggestions so far, loving this harbor freight motor cycle lift. Picked it up for $289, and got a parts washer as well.

Please feel free to give comments and suggestions, I'll be learning as I go, and I know you guys have a lot of help to give.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
When you send in your cam to Megacycle, you can send your rockers as well. They're a little more expensive, but they do a good job.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had Schumann do the head work on my CB72 and my KZ900. He does good work in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man it felt good to start wrenching on this thing. Impact wrench is a must have for sure, and the kroil is the greatest.

Everything I took off today won't be reused. Going to donate them to someone in the site in need.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today's work. Continuing down the rabbit hole.

All set to take the engine out, need to free the oil plug. Soaking it in kroil over night

Really ugly behind the headers, but I'm sure you have all seen worse, looks like the left area where the header goes in is chipped, but shouldn't really be an issue.

I'm already planning to re do the entire top end anyway. So nothing that can't be cleaned up.

Stator looks to be in pretty good shape, which gives me hope that the lower case will be in good shape as well. Engine actually still had some oil in it, which was surprising to me.

Upper fork covers don't look to be usable, left side has holes from the rust, right side is bent at the dust seal. Looking at some NOS to replace these.

Check out the pics, let me know if there is anything else I should be concerned about.

And Nova, I love this bike stand, you were absolutely right, I appreciate that stand every time I go out to do some work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good day of wrenching.

Just need to get the forks off, then I'm down to the frame.

I'm legitimately looking into having an Amish metal fabricator weld on the seat loop and make a seat pan. Blows my mind, lol. He was actually recommended by a local bike shop.

I'll take any suggestions if anyone has a shop in the PA, MD, NJ area that can do the frame modification.

Other learnings this week is that I have external springs on my forks, which was a surprise, but I did enjoy the comment out there that the fork technology on this bike is the equivalent of a screen door. I'm keeping the forks stock for now, maybe in the future I'll swap them, but for now I'll use the money elsewhere.

Kinda enjoying the simplicity of this bike, drum brakes front and back, eliminates the need for master cylinders and brake line bleeding, and these forks are going to be a breeze to service, just wish there was a spring upgrade available for this set up......

So the easy part is done, now the real work begins.

This week looking to get into the engine, get the cam shaft and rockers out to megacycle (going with 123-20)

Get the head out to Schuman motor works

And get the cylinders out to be over bored, might hit TOOLS up for this work.

Oh and added a shop light to my work station, need to be able to see what's going on while tearing the engine down.

And yeah, gotta get that purple martin house up, lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some time to work on the engine today tearing the top end down.

Got a promising connection to get my wheels redone, looking like I'm using Dubya in California, going with a cerakote white rim, black anodized nipples, black powder coat spokes, and cerakote black hub. Going for a white wall look, without white walls, should look pretty sweet. Getting the wheels all packed up and ready to send to California.

As for the engine...

Took some time to get the tach side engine cover off, had to contend with some stripped screws, had to drill them out.

Found the pistons are seized, couldn't get the engine to manually advance, which made getting the cam sprocket nuts out a real challenge. Was able to get enough play in the cam chain to slide a socket in there and get them out.

Rockers seem to be in decent shape, cam has a gouge in the left lobe, not sure what could cause that, hope it's still able to be re ground.

Head came off without incident, now just going to get that ready to ship out for an over haul.

Now, just going to soak the pistons in kroil and hope they loosen up. Once they are free, then they will be sent out to be over bored for 66mm pistons.

Overall, progressing nicely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike stand is empty, kinda sad. Lots of parts out getting worked on.

So got the cognito Moto rear seat loop with integrated LED brake light/turn signal delivered today, and immediately took it to the local Amish fabricator. Just blows my mind, no electricity, run on diesel and hydraulic. He's going to weld the seat loop on, then I'll head over and talk to him about making the seat pan. Might have him clean up some of the welds, especially around the shock stud.

Went with mega cycle for the cam shaft re profiling, went with the 123-20, and sent the rockers to be hard faced as well.

Sent the head out today to Schuman motor works to have that all gone over, new springs, valves, guides, seals, plus he's going to doing the milling to make room for the ka slipper.

Wheels went out to Dubya in Cali, really excited about this project. Josh Lynn and his team are excited to do something out of the ordinary. And I'm excited to see how they turn out. Going with a cerakote white rim, black anodized nipples, black powder coated spokes, and a black cerakote hub. Plus they are going to install new wheel bearings, cerakote all the little bits on the hubs, and lace and true the wheels. Really excited to see how these turn out.

Waiting on wiseco 66mm pistons coming from dime city, then once they come in, I'll be taking the jugs to a local machinist, plus want to see what else he can do for me, like blasting the cam case, and even see what he wants to paint the engine cases.

In the interim I'll be getting some parts ready for powder coating, so once the frame comes back from kinzer, I can take a bunch of stuff over to get finished so I can start getting this thing back together.

In the end, it's all progress, and I'm excited to see it all come back together.

Now the part that I'm most dreading is figuring out the electronics.....

Laters on the menjay.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Presto chango almost a year later, I'll wrap this thread up. Been a long crazy ride, but here she is. Her name is the challenger. She should be on the road very soon.

I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm happy with the end result.

Lots of help from www.merlincycleworks.com, kudos to Mark for all the assistance bringing this thing to life.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts