Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone,
When I position the left piston to LT, as the two marks to the camshafts, the left intake valve begins to pop out slightly.
Do you think this is normal?
Thank you for your reply

Patrick

·
Registered
CB77, 1966
17 Posts
Hello everyone,
Can someone help me on this?
thank you very much

Patrick
Unfortunately, you can wait a long time for a response in French here.

There are two TDCs, the top of the exhaust stroke and the top of the compression stroke. It looks like you've found the top of the exhaust stroke where both valves will be open a bit. Rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees (at the top of the compression) and see what happens.

You can check the stroke by observing the ignition points. The points will be slightly open (<1mm) at the top of the compression but widely open at the top of the exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Unfortunately, you can wait a long time for a response in French here.

There are two TDCs, the top of the exhaust stroke and the top of the compression stroke. It looks like you've found the top of the exhaust stroke where both valves will be open a bit. Rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees (at the top of the compression) and see what happens.

You can check the stroke by observing the ignition points. The points will be slightly open (<1mm) at the top of the compression but widely open at the top of the exhaust.

Hello Tim, Thank you for your reply and happy new year, Ok I actually have a second question which can be explained by the first one. When I position the LT mark I have an offset on the camshaft marks of about 3mm.
Ci-joint photos
Wheel White Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part
Light Automotive tire Bicycle part Carbon Rim
Wheel White Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part

·
Administrator
5,981 Posts
Welcome Patrick! You should get better response with your question in english - the required language of this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Timing timing problem
Hello everyone,
When I position the left piston on LT, I cannot position the two camshaft marks correctly, (see photos) and the left intake valve starts to come out slightly. (see attached photos)
Do you think this is normal?
thank you for your answers

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's normal for the intake valve to be at the point of starting to open when setting the cam timing on the DOHC 450, that cylinder is beginning its intake stroke. The cam's timing marks are not always perfectly marked on the cams, there are slight variances and not every set of cams will line up exactly on the marks at the same time as you would expect. If the distance the mark is off is less than the distance of moving the cam one tooth on the sprocket, then it will be fine as you have it now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's normal for the intake valve to be at the point of starting to open when setting the cam timing on the DOHC 450, that cylinder is beginning its intake stroke. The cam's timing marks are not always perfectly marked on the cams, there are slight variances and not every set of cams will line up exactly on the marks at the same time as you would expect. If the distance the mark is off is less than the distance of moving the cam one tooth on the sprocket, then it will be fine as you have it now.
thank you very matsh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts