Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLD: 1969 CB750KO — SOLD - titled in my name with just over 12,000 miles on the original clock. Please see the build thread in the project section (Patina Bike) of the SOHC forum http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,164182.0.html Some details — wrinkle tank, double cut front fender, HM300’s, recessed ignition, original paint and chrome. The left side cover broke and was repaired (pic). Could be sanded and painted. Tank has 2 dings (pic) and was cleaned with Metal Rescue and run. Could use another detail cleaning, but I am picky. All electrics work and bike runs strong. Comes with original owners manual and original owners Honda warranty card stapled inside. Bike located in central WI. Asking $8,250 or offer. Feel free to email me at [email protected] with questions.
IMG_6903.jpg IMG_6902.jpg IMG_7200.jpg IMG_7199.jpg IMG_6905.jpg IMG_6104.jpg IMG_6897.jpg IMG_6899.jpg IMG_6900.jpg IMG_6023.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Nice bike... has it had the case protector recall done under the front sprocket cover? If the miles are original, has the engine been apart? It would appear it has based on the black on the head and cylinders as well as the apparent sealer along the seam between the upper and lower crankcase halves

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks...the case protector is in place and can be seen in the build thread. Appreciate the questions.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Not to be overly critical, but the sealer I see between the case halves in every picture that shows them is not original... and it would be difficult to do a proper job painting the cylinders and head while the engine is in the frame and assembled. I think it's possible the original owner either doesn't know or isn't being straight with you. This is the year to sell one, particularly those lucky enough to have a sandcast model... 50th anniversary will help one bring good profit for holding onto it for the long term

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Please take a look at the build thread and all your questions will be answered. In there I mention bike broke a chain and had the cases replaced. When you talked about the head I thought you meant head replaced. Owner said once Honda replaced the cases he bought a Harley and did not use it much. Keep the questions coming. Here is the build thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,164182.0.html

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I will add a real strange thing is the Honda warranty card stapled to the owners manual has number #1005987 on it. Honda never stamped these new cases when they were installed. Bike was purchased by original owner at a dealership in Green Bay, WI.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I did not take the time to look at the build thread, but I will... it's interesting the dealer that replaced the crankcases didn't stamp the engine number into them as they should have. By the number on the warranty card, this engine was likely a sandcast engine... what a shame it didn't survive as such, it would be worth so much more original. The engine numbers for sandcast, if they are correct in the site I just checked, was up to 1007414. As a 15 year old kid with little foresight at the time, I was helping bring in the service bikes at the dealership I previously worked for one Friday evening and did a quick (but destructive) burnout with a sandcast 750 that resulted in me spending a week's worth of free labor hours after school helping do the grunt work for the service manager who changed the cases... and the dealer was nice enough to cover the parts under warranty for me. I remember how fragile they were with the single-row final drive bearing...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And those are the original gauge faces there. Pretty good condition as they should be with those low miles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL...good story Tom. Yah, bet you wish you had that bike now. I have another 69KO and don't need 2 which is why I am letting it go. Plus, I have a K1 on the lift waiting for attention. Thanks again for adding your expertise. Can't figure out why someone would paint the head? I suppose it was cool back then.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Agreed - clearly it didn't spend too much time in the sun, and I love the old gauges with the indicators in them as opposed to the "panel". BTW, the color of your CB750K4 is actually Flake Sunrise Orange according to the Honda ID Guide. Excellent collection you have. Your K1 almost has to be a '71 - the release date was 9/21/70 which pretty much anywhere in the US would have been titled '71, though the build date on the bike is likely late '70

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bike is listed on the SOHC site and here. Have not listed on Cycle Trader yet as I was hoping a Honda forum member would get it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Can't figure out why someone would paint the head? I suppose it was cool back then.
Yeah, that story cost me one of the few sleepless nights I've ever experienced in my life... dreading the conversation I was going to have the next morning with the dealership owner. The bike belonged to one his best customers and drinking buddies... as for the head and cylinders black - I suppose some thought it looked cool... me not so much, really never have, especially on a stock bike. In other situations, it depends.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
well, as much as I like it, it's way out of my league in dollars... JamesPal here has been lusting after one for a while, but he wants a true sandcast... with the original cases :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL...don't we all. If James has the cash for a sandcast I hope he finds one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a picture of the case protector as mentioned. IMG_4046.jpg

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that K1 Tom is a K1 but is titled as a 1970. Must have been sold and titled pretty fast I would say :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you still have that K3 Tom?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Oh God no - I was 19 then and life changed quickly... I bought that bike when our business (my cousin and I started a Honda repair shop on a shoestring in early '73) took over the payment on my '72 Chevy LUV I bought right out of high school... that bike was financed at $73 a month and I owned it for about a year but the business eventually had to be closed (thefts, break-ins, way too small a budget to survive big issues) and it got sold, along with the '69 GTX 440 I also bought on a shoestring back then... I had a lot of fun on a very small budget during that period, including full-time drag racing a CL450 built into a modified for a couple years then as well. I've had 4 total SOHC CB750s over the years (all got sold, of course, to move on to the next bike), one that my father custom painted and built a wild dual headlight for not long after that in '75. Check out my one photo gallery to see some pics of my Dad's paint skills

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Price reduced to $7,500 or offer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts