Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently picked up a 1969 Honda CB350K1 as my first bike. I had been riding a 1986 Honda Shadow 500 that my boyfriend's parents own, but decided it was time to get my own bike. I love the aeshetics of many of the bikes from the 70s, so when I saw this for sale in my area I had to buy it. Here's a picture of it after purchase:
2000000000404974.jpg

I'm currently cleaning it up, and doing some routine maintenance. While I'd love to restore it from the frame up, I just don't have the time or, currently, the knowledge/skillset to do so. I would definitely like to in the future once I run it for a while and become more familiar with the machine.

So, for now, I'm just going to document some of the work I do on it here, and hopefully a few of you are willing to answer my questions along the way.

I'm currently at an impasse at the headlight assembly. I have it unbolted from the forks, but cannot figure out an easy way to disassemble it. Does anyone have any suggestions or know any easy way to disassemble it without taking the forks/handlebars off? The main problem is getting the electrical wiring disconnected.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Here's where I'm at:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Is this the one that was on facebook for $950.. if so good find. That's the most rare color of 350

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this the one that was on facebook for $950.. if so good find. That's the most rare color of 350
I did find it on Facebook, but I not the one you're talking about. I might have overpaid for mine, but I needed it in my life, so I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Man, that one is too nice to restore. Just clean it up and get it running properly. They’re original only once.

As for removing the headlight, unplug the wires from the light itself and put it safely to the side. Then, it’s just a matter of unplugging the other wires necessary to pull the rest through the hole in the back of the shell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone else have issues with the air filter side cover falling off? If so, what did you do to fix it?

The previous owner put these aftermarket air filters on the bike, and they seem to be interfering with the cover staying in place.
s-l300.jpg

He gave me the stock air filters when I bought the bike, should I just put those back on?

I bought a new set of grommets for the frame and cover itself, so hopefully that'll help fix the issue.

Any other suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, that one is too nice to restore. Just clean it up and get it running properly. They’re original only once.

As for removing the headlight, unplug the wires from the light itself and put it safely to the side. Then, it’s just a matter of unplugging the other wires necessary to pull the rest through the hole in the back of the shell.
Thanks! I finally got it all apart and disconnected from the wiring harness.

Here are the parts all cleaned up.

There's some rust on the bucket, so one day I might have it repainted, but not yet.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Nice! Those metal headlight shells are pretty rare - the later model 350s had plastic ones.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Do not use those filters. Use stock filters, Unless you want blue pipes. Also, do not repaint. Do not touch anything on that bike...

It is probably worth over $4,000 running. I just sold a much more common '70 in gold for that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The two set screws were missing from my headlight assembly when I purchased it. Does anyone know the size of the stock ones? If I can find out the size, I'll just try to pick them up from the hardware store.

They don't seem to be available online through Honda CB350 parts dealers. I thought they were item 16 in the headlight schematics I found, but that only seems to be a washer. Maybe I'm wrong. Can anyone confirm whether or not these are available?Here's the screw I'm looking for on the diagram (indicated the red arrows):

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The two set screws were missing from my headlight assembly when I purchased it. Does anyone know the size of the stock ones? If I can find out the size, I'll just try to pick them up from the hardware store.

They don't seem to be available online through Honda CB350 parts dealers. I thought they were item 16 in the headlight schematics I found, but that only seems to be a washer. Maybe I'm wrong. Can anyone confirm whether or not these are available?Here's the screw I'm looking for on the diagram (indicated the red arrows): View attachment 312311

Thanks in advance!
The P/N for item 16 is 61304-292-000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI, for anyone looking for screws for the headlight trim/bucket in the future, I just picked up M5 x 16mm machine screws from the hardware store and they worked perfect!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I recently picked up a 1969 Honda CB350K1 as my first bike. I had been riding a 1986 Honda Shadow 500 that my boyfriend's parents own, but decided it was time to get my own bike. I love the aeshetics of many of the bikes from the 70s, so when I saw this for sale in my area I had to buy it. Here's a picture of it after purchase: View attachment 312270

I'm currently cleaning it up, and doing some routine maintenance. While I'd love to restore it from the frame up, I just don't have the time or, currently, the knowledge/skillset to do so. I would definitely like to in the future once I run it for a while and become more familiar with the machine.

So, for now, I'm just going to document some of the work I do on it here, and hopefully a few of you are willing to answer my questions along the way.

I'm currently at an impasse at the headlight assembly. I have it unbolted from the forks, but cannot figure out an easy way to disassemble it. Does anyone have any suggestions or know any easy way to disassemble it without taking the forks/handlebars off? The main problem is getting the electrical wiring disconnected.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Here's where I'm at: View attachment 312271 View attachment 312272 View attachment 312273
Welcome! I just joined and I recently picked up a '69 CB350 myself, but in nowhere near as good condition as yours! That's gorgeous! I don't have a picture to put up yet but motor was not in the frame and would not turn completely. That's resolved now (stuck valve) but it's very early in the project.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome! I just joined and I recently picked up a '69 CB350 myself, but in nowhere near as good condition as yours! That's gorgeous! I don't have a picture to put up yet but motor was not in the frame and would not turn completely. That's resolved now (stuck valve) but it's very early in the project.
Thank you! Welcome, as well. I would love to see pictures of yours once you are able to take some. How many miles are on your bike? Glad you resolved the engine issue, and hopefully you can get the motor in the frame soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you! Welcome, as well. I would love to see pictures of yours once you are able to take some. How many miles are on your bike? Glad you resolved the engine issue, and hopefully you can get the motor in the frame soon!
I just put up a pic of my bike. Looks even "better" in person! Not sure where I'll go with this yet, but leaning toward just getting it cleaned up, running and roadworthy. That'll take long enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just put up a pic of my bike. Looks even "better" in person! Not sure where I'll go with this yet, but leaning toward just getting it cleaned up, running and roadworthy. That'll take long enough.
That picture makes me appreciate how lucky I got with mine. The painted on "350" is a nice touch. You should keep it like that. :LOL: I can't wait to see what you do with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mileage is 13,000. Disassembled quite a bit of it today, swingarm tomorrow. Maybe I'll clearcoat the rust and make it a "desert rat"! First, get the motor running - it's different trying to work on it when off the bike, but I'm making a stand of sorts to hold it steady. Want to hook it to a battery and compression check it soon. Seat is shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did Honda make a separate rear blinker mounting bracket with a longer stem for rides with racks? With the rack on, my blinkers have to be pointed pretty much 45 degrees toward the ground for the rack not to rub on them. Am I missing something?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts