Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 1969 CL350 project yesterday, will be needing a few things; tank (the tank in the picture came with it, from a ‘71 CL175), rear wheel, patch on the muffler, carbs. Any helpful suggestions/comments are appreciated.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Automotive lighting

·
Registered
960 Posts
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Fuel tank Automotive lighting

A nice NOS tank would look sweet ....

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

This is my K5 CL350 .... a few modifications .... the tank is a 175 tank reworked to fit the 350. The 175 front mounts are cut off and 350 pieces welded in place then the tail is extended with the tail piece from a 350 tank. Unfortunately the way I did it the OE CL350 seat doesn't fit very well with the 175 tank.

If being model correct isn't an issue then I believe you can put any CL350 tank on your bike. Finding the correct tank in the correct colour is going to be difficult. I'm having issues finding the correct winged tank emblems for the NOS tank I have .... at least at a reasonable cost.

Nice looking bike, btw the front an rear hubs on these early bikes are cosmetically different with blind holes drilled between each spoke so don't discard the rear hub if you changing out the assembly.

If the exhaust isn't totally falling apart then nurse it back to health .... big $$ to replace.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great advice, thanks! The exhaust is actually really nice with one hole on the bottom of the muffler that I think can be fixed. I guess the front fender with the reflector is hard to come by; didn’t know that but I’m learning as this is my first smaller bike.

·
Registered
960 Posts
The 175 tank is desirable if it is in decent shape so check pricing.

3 models of carbs were put on these bikes .... first are marked "350", second were , marked "3D" and last were marked "722A" . The 350 carbs use different floats that are expensive and hard to find. Specs are different than the other models. 3D and 722A carbs are the same except for the idle mixture screw. Specs are the same for these carb models.

Yes the fender reflector is a bit of a rare item.

Member 83XLX has owned his since new I believe and can offer model specific advice.

Be aware that the 350 engines usually need the timing chain rollers changed along with the guide .... bit of a pandoras box as the engine has to be pulled and costs can add up quickly if a full rebuild is required.

The other issue to be aware of is the clutch rod seal blows out dumping the engine oil very quickly. I make a seal retainer for all my engines.

These are not inexpensive engines to repair.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 69 CL tank; it's pretty beat up but looks solid so I'm going to work with it. I'm just going through it, a lot of old rubber will need to be replaced but most pieces are pretty cheap. Lot available on ebay, and Partzilla seems to still carry a lot of stuff. Just like to keep busy during the crappy Boston winters.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Great advice, thanks! The exhaust is actually really nice with one hole on the bottom of the muffler that I think can be fixed. I guess the front fender with the reflector is hard to come by; didn’t know that but I’m learning as this is my first smaller bike.
I’ve seen a few of those early mufflers and there’s a hole in the bottom to let it drain. You get a fair amount of condensation in them. If that’s what you see I would leave it open.

Hood Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve seen a few of those early mufflers and there’s a hole in the bottom to let it drain. You get a fair amount of condensation in them. If that’s what you see I would leave it open.

View attachment 316915
Yeah, the hole in mine is about the size of a quarter. When I patch it I'll leave a small hole for the moisture to escape. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts