Honda Twins banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts
The case sealer I'm seeing is factory, it's a sort of brownish color and you'll see runs on the inside of the case where it flowed after assembly.
Call Steve

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Wow! That oil filter looks like you are the first one to pull the cover since it was installed at the factory 51 yrs ago! That's actually an awesome picture. I've never seen one that full. Good luck with your bike. A CL350 is worth fixing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
haha I'm glad that you think its so cool. When I opened it up my first thought was "oh this is the end" I thought she was a gonner.
Wow! That oil filter looks like you are the first one to pull the cover since it was installed at the factory 51 yrs ago! That's actually an awesome picture. I've never seen one that full. Good luck with your bike. A CL350 is worth fixing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
New (used) transmission will be here on saturday. Replacing it, and the cam chain/tensioner system and will begin reassembly. If anyone is in Los Angeles and willing to spare some Hondabond or equivalent please let me know. The state is basically on lockdown due to coronavirus which makes ordering or sourcing from a local dealer pretty difficult right now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks like I posted the same photo twice by mistake. Just edited that. It is a lower case mounting bolt not a starter mount bolt.
Your picture of the broken bolt in the upper case appears to be a starter mount bolt - at least that's the only one that appears in the picture to be broken off.

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts
For broken case bolts a Heli-Coil is a proper repair. You'll have to drill out the broken section first. If there's any old bolt still projecting try filing it flat then center punch it so the drill bit is centered in the bolt. This is very important, you want the center of the bolt!
ThreeBond 1184 is the same as HondaBond, YamaBond, etc. Amazon is selling it BTW.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I needed to see this. Helps put things in perspective. I like the tank that you went with, what'd you get that off of?
It’s a stock ‘68-‘69 CL350 tank. Same tank as yours, I believe. Yours has the emblems removed and the recesses smoothed over with body filler. My bike is a ’69 CL, too, but I put CB pipes on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
For broken case bolts a Heli-Coil is a proper repair. You'll have to drill out the broken section first. If there's any old bolt still projecting try filing it flat then center punch it so the drill bit is centered in the bolt. This is very important, you want the center of the bolt!
ThreeBond 1184 is the same as HondaBond, YamaBond, etc. Amazon is selling it BTW.
Copy that. Thank you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I tried soaking the old gaskets in paint thinner over night. They’re not budging. I’m using a plastic scraper and it’s just not cutting it. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
Paint remover helps, and you can get a power scraper (pneumatic) that helps too but you have to be careful to not remove aluminum from the surfaces as it is easy to gouge if you get too aggressive. This is the most time-consuming and drudgerous part of any rebuild. There's really no shortcut, you just have to do what needs to be done

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I was able to get the broken lower case bolt out using a bit of ingenuity. I used vise pliers to turn it a few times to reveal more of the bolt. I then cut a slot in the top with a dremel and used a flat head to turn it the rest of the way.
Still working on the gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
I was able to get the broken lower case bolt out using a bit of ingenuity. I used vise pliers to turn it a few times to reveal more of the bolt. I then cut a slot in the top with a dremel and used a flat head to turn it the rest of the way.
Still working on the gaskets.
Good job, they can be tough but all you need is to get a little bit lucky, you can usually handle the rest.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts