Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I began what has revealed itself to be one of the most humbling, frustrating, invigorating, and knuckle busting projects I've ever taken on.
I bought an absolute rust bucket with the idea that I'd be able to restore it. I still believe that I can do it, its just that it has become one of the more difficult and time consuming projects I've taken on.

A little backstory on the bike. I found it online in Brea, CA (I live in Los Angeles.) So I took a quasi road-trip down there and made a deal with a young man that was getting rid of a few of his dads collectables for health expenses. They had a property that had bikes and cars in different states of decay or restoration. I didn't get much of a back story on the bike other than that It was loved for a while and has been sitting for a lot longer.

Below are some photos of the process so far.
I didn't originally intend on rebuilding the motor, I guess you could say that the bike has sort of just lead me there.
The photos at the end are where I am at currently; splitting the cases. If anyone could leave any tips on how to get these guys apart it'd be much appreciated. I included some photos of the seam where the lower case meets the upper. I've read on here about the dangers of over sealing the cases so I'd like to know if this is factory bond, or if the PO dug into the motor at some point.

Some things I could use help with: the shift shaft won't remove fully. I can pull it about 95% of the way through the right side of the motor. It feels as if it's making contact with an internal piece just before it would release from the right side. Is it necessary to remove completely in order to split the cases?
I'm trying to split the cases, I've been very carefully taping the lower case with a rubber mallet, and its not budging. Maybe someone has a suggestion. PB blaster?

Below are some photos of the process so far.

·
Sensei
26,596 Posts
Shift it back into neutral while spinning shafts before any further disassembly..........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shift it back into neutral while spinning shafts before any further disassembly..........
whats the best way to do that? Do I need to put the shifter back on?
I tried that earlier this week but it only felt like it was going up a gear and down a gear.
Theres a good chance I'm wrong but I think it might already be in neutral, all of the shafts move if I turn them.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts