Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Please let me know if there is a better place to post this.

I am looking to buy my first bike to commute with. I have experience with dirt bikes and am mostly planning on short distance city riding with freeway usage as a last resort.

I'm in love with the old Cb's. I wanted to get any thoughts or advice on using such an old bike as a commuter, and more specifically, how you think this one I found for sale looks and sounds. Here it is:

http://images.craigslist.org/00h0h_1FLCMJyOim6_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00T0T_2SMsYHzOZte_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00000_cLYstAcYEv5_600x450.jpg

Seller is asking for premium price of $3000.
It has had a bit of work and money put into it according to him: carbs, fuel lines, wiring, tank lining/seal, electric ignition are some of the big ones.

A couple of things that jump out at me are the lack of turn signals and gauges, and more so, unknown mileage. Claims that the bike is firing flawlessly and running well.

So my main questions are about the price and condition of the bike. Is there any way to test or get an idea of the engines mileage without gauges?

I appreciate any thoughts, tips, concerns and advice.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
price is too high....in my opinion, unless it is a recently rebuilt bike.

has the seller rebuilt the motor...if not, the top end most likely needs to be done. in addition to many other things that could need to be addressed: tires, brakes, cables, replacing lost/removed parts if you want them (mirror, signals, gauges, etc...)

bike needs to be completely gone through to ensure it is safe, this involves: time, money, experience (if you plan to do it yourself)....how are you with a wrench?

a vintage bike can definitely be used as a daily rider/commuter, but proper care needs to be taken to get it there...and keep it there

·
Registered
118 Posts
Am I right to guess you're on the west coast? The two indications - the ocean in the background and the price of that bike.

$3K seems high unless you are paying advertised Cali prices, and I've got to think there are better deals out there. You're not buying a new vehicle with a warranty. Expect and budget for maintenance that is required both soon and often.

If you drop three grand on this thing and try to ride it every day, only one party will be happy - and it ain't you. The PO's "Big Things" - carbs, fuel lines, wiring, tank lining/seal, electric ignition - are actually pretty low cost in the world of bike restoration. Just bread and butter stuff that every scoot needs. Like Scud says, you also need to be concerned about engine internals and all of the safety items like tires, brakes, mirrors, and signals. If these are not handled already, your seller is a hipster dreamer who's good with polish.

I have a CB400F and a CL450, both larger and heavier than that bike. Neither one feels comfortable on the highway in heavy traffic, but I'm older and probably more cautious (chicken) than a lot of other people. I say try before you buy, and be sure that your commute won't leave you stranded or wringing wet with fear sweat.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree that price seems too high. For $3K I would expect an all original survivor that has been maintained and lightly used. removing parts from the bike may look cool but doesn't make it more valuable. If you are prepared to pay $3 I think you should be able to find a very nice and complete CB that will not need much of anything to serve as a daily commuter.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
You never get the money back you have spent on a bike especially if you are paying someone else to work on it. A bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
For 3K I'll sell you my CL350 with the original engine (partially disassembled) included. Currently has a 71 CL engine and 71 tank. Plus the electrical system has been updated for full charging, Matt's (Soneir) regulator modification and electronic ignition. Everything on the "checklist" has been done since I built it for my son-in-law to ride. Needs paint. And you'd get to choose which tires you want since I screwed up and installed the wrong size.
CA titled and insured.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
For $3999 you can but a 2015 CB300 from Honda, with a real warranty. I am not sure why the prices are so high....My 1991 CB750 is about $2000 K.

For a bike with a bunch of new parts, but missing many old parts, it is just not good enough for $3K in my opinion.

The parts he put on are bolt ons. No real engine parts...He even listed a tank a gas...lol . At the cost of Gas in CA, a full tank doubles the value of the bike. The list is parts he bought, not necessarily installed correctly either. If it doesn't have a title, then don't waste your time....Shop slowly, be patient.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate all the insight and information. I won't be getting this bike. I think I'm going to make another post about getting a first bike.

I was looking at TU250X, but I'm that's not easy in California. Which is why I'm looking at old Hondas now. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts