Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a 1968 Honda CL350 in good (but non running) condition and plan to get it back on the road in stock condition. I have pulled the carburetors and noticed that they are the very early Keihin 350A model. The first issue I have is that the fuel inlet tube on each carb is loose. I believe they were originally a pressed fit but am not sure. Right now they just dangle there and leak gas. Does anyone have experience with the Keihin 350A carb? How would I fix the loose fuel inlets? Can I press them back into the carb or would they just come loose again? Is there a better solution? Here are some pictures. Thank you for any suggestions you may have. 20171220_181922.jpg 20171220_181602.jpg 20171220_181608.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
You may be able to coat the fuel inlet tubes with solder. Clean them up with steel wool until bright and shiny. Sweat a thin layer of solder onto them then press them back into place. The thin soft layer should make them tight again.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
fuel tank sealant can also be used just don't let it get into the bowls.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
My mistske on the Solder. That won't work on that model.

The 3D & 722A's both have Brass pressed in fittings.

Yours looks to be the same material as the carb body which is a Zinc (Pot Metal) Alloy.
Very low Temp Melting Point which makes for easy casting and low shrink but not good for fixing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestions! I have cleaned the carbs, replaced the o-rings and put the carbs back together. I pressed the fuel inlets into the carb bodies using a hammer only at this time. They seem to be holding pretty well but I will try the other methods if they come loose. I want to be able to test the carbs for leaks before I put them back on the bike so I am in the process of building a homemade auxilary fuel tank. It is made out of a thick plastic drinking bottle and some brass fittings. Here are a few pictures of the aux fuel tank.

20171227_234641.jpg

20171227_234652.jpg

20171227_234732.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts