Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After vowing to not take on any more projects something came up that I simply could not resist. The Craigslist ad was very simple. "Honda 450 was in flood does not run good for parts! call make offer!" And there was one not very good picture. I gave the owner a call and was told that the bike was completely under water during Hurricane Sandy(I live in LI,NY) and had not been touched since. He just wanted it out of the yard. So I hooked up the trailer and me and my bud Sam went off to check it out. The bike was on the side of a house that had just finished being rebuilt from the hurricane damage and was right on the water. The bike itself was a virtually stock Honda CB450 K1. The only non-stock part I could see was a recovered seat. Everything was seized. We had a heck of a time loading it up on the trailer as the even the wheels were seized. Here she is, wish me luck. BTW, that's a CL77 in front that lost it's spot for restoration.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Scooter Automotive tire Auto part

·
Registered
496 Posts
Could be a worthy project, especially if the price was right. Post some pics as you go, as I'm interested in what you find along the way!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Although it looks like a monumental task (as I'm sure it will be) what an awesome example. I wouldn't have been able to resist either, keep posting with your progress.

It seems build threads get real quiet around and drop faster than a stone on the page here ....we are watching.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Nice K1, good luck with the rebuild, I'm a follower.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My thoughts as to how to approach the restoration of this bike are a bit different than those that I have done in the past. I had to determine how much of this machine was beyond repair and the availability/cost of obtaining replacement parts. I decided on a wheels up approach as the parts I was most concerned about were the ones that spent the most time in the salt water. As it turned out there was a water line visible about 1/3 of the way up the air cleaners, so it appears that the bike was not completely submerged.

When I picked up the bike the wheels were both locked up. I was able to partially free up the front but the back was another story. As it turned out the chain had basically solidified and once cut up and removed the bike would at least partially role. I thought that the axles would be rusted in place but that was not the case and they both came right out. The same for the wheel bearings. The biggest headache was the rear wheel sprocket bolts as they had both frozen to the sprocket and the wheel damper bushings. A liberal does of PB B’laster and several days of waiting freed them up. The rear wheel has been disassembled and the hub and rim were polished. There is some pitting on the rim but I prefer to keep it on the bike. The spokes can be brought back but due to the labor involved and safety concerns I will most likely replace them with stainless steel ones from Buchanans. There was quite a bit of rust on the center stand and swing arm. Took a lot of work to get them down to bare metal but both are sound with just minor surface damage. The tool kit was rusted through due to all the papers that were crammed inside that held the water. Among these papers was a transferable registration. There were some real difficult pieces to remove. First was the drive chain cover as the shift shaft had bonded itself to the cover. Again PB B’laster and patience were the key and the cover was eventually removed without any damage. The steering damper was another problem. Even on “normal” bikes I’ve seen the damper shaft bond to the lower bolt. In the past I’ve just broken the shaft off by brute force. For this bike I decided to drill through the top adjuster know and free the damper shaft from the top. As the lower bolt is still available I can now use a piece of new threaded rod and reuse the adjust knob. Another issue was the front forks as the unplated parts under the fork ears were very rusted and had bonded to the top triple tree. The only way to get the forks out was to break this bond. Took a bit of fiddling but eventually I was able to drop the forks.

On to some good news. For some reason the gas tank is in excellent shape. The outside cleaned up very well and there is hardly any rust inside. The same goes for the side covers with some slight rust on the bottom of one. Both of these can live on with the original paint and I would rate them all as a 8/9 out of 10. The mufflers are also in unbelievably good shape. There is no pitting or rust at all. I saw very little rust on the inside either. Very strange as they were under water. Both fenders are also in excellent shape. I guess that the chrome plating in the late 1960’s was better than in the early 1970’s as I routinely see the later items pit under the chrome over time.

Now back to the bad news. The carbs are toast. Hours in the ultrasonic did nothing to free them up and the float bowls have literally disintegrated. The engine itself is seized tighter than any I have ever seen as the salt water entered the cylinder with the open valves. I’m not worried about either of these issues as the parts are out there.

Vehicle
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Helmet Fuel tank Blue Cobalt blue Electric blue
Auto part Engine Vehicle
Metal
Soil Wheel Rim Tire Automotive wheel system
Auto part Flange Metal Wheel
Soil Shadow Sand Games Concrete
Snake Reptile Sculpture Auto part Scaled reptile
Auto part Pipe

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few updates. Been working on the swingarm.

New bronze bushings installed
Metal Wheel Pipe Auto part Steel

Trying out a new product. Dupli.Color Rust Fix. The swingarm was pretty much stripped down to bare metal but considering what the bike went through thought I would give it a try. It's a bit hard to apply as it goes on clear and then dries black
Horse tack

Filler primer over the Rust Fix.
Vehicle

Final coats of black
Gun

The frame is next.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Making progress when I can.

Cleaned up one of the side covers. Gonna keep the original paint.
Blue Electric blue Vehicle Car

Hopefully I can put together one good head from these two.

Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Carburetor Automotive engine part

One incredibly worn out cam chain guide sprocket
Auto part Metal Hardware accessory

The last time the bike was inspected?
Drink Alcoholic beverage Beer Pint Glass bottle

Working on the forks
Auto part Pipe Cylinder Muffler Metal

Must have snap ring pliers(Kowa)
Pliers Diagonal pliers Lineman's pliers Wire Tool

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
You should get a metal for saving another Honda historical artifact. This is well worth the effort. Subscribed! I will be watching the progress.

BTW, I have a disassembled set of carbs. Let me know if you need any thing.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.