Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum and wanted to start a thread to document the work on my new 1968 CB450 K1. My plan is to rebuild the bike into a solid stock daily driver.

A bit of backstory:

I've been looking around for a Black Bomber or K1 for quite some time now but never came across anything decent in my price range. I recently stumbled across an add for a 68 CB450 in CT and decided to buy the bike sight unseen as it had the original tank, seat, and exhaust in nice shape. I arranged transport and had it shipped down to NYC and just began work on the bike this weekend.

Here's a shot of the bike as purchased:

It appears to be all stock and in solid overall shape. It looks like the bike spent some time out in Hawaii before heading to Connecticut then down this way to New York City.

There was a ton of grease, grime and crud on the engine and bike which seems to have preserved the chrome and metal well enough. I spent the better part of Saturday cleaning up the engine and treating the tank interior to remove some surface rust and old fuel deposits. Here's the bike as it stands now:

I ordered new tank badges and threw those on after polishing up the side covers a bit. Any ideas where I could find a set of replacement knee pads? These are in decent shape but the rubber is a bit brittle and warped from sun damage. No luck sourcing these so far...

The odometer reads just over 6,000 miles and the engine turns over fine. I'm going to get the bike running and assess the overall condition before getting into the suspension/tires/and cosmetics. I just ordered new points, condensor, plugs, caps, oil, battery, etc. and should have everything by the end of the week.

I went ahead and pulled the carbs right off the bat and thoroughly cleaned them, set the float heights, and reinstalled. They were drained before the bike went into storage and were pretty clean overall. A neighbor walked by while I was working on the bike on Saturday then came back with a nice set of carbs, engine covers, and some internal parts as a donation:) I've got rebuild kits on order and will finish up the spare set of carbs then get those on the bike as needed. Next up is to change the oil, address the tune up items, and see if I can get her started.

Here's the bike on it's way over to my new garage space Saturday morning. Spring came early in NYC this year. Hoping to have the bike up and running soon to make good use of the nice weather. More to come soon....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I'd never get rid of that military/Pearl Harbor sticker.. It adds to the old girl in my opinion....

If only she could talk, ya know? ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Znabb said:
Now thats a great find as the bike looks complete and in good condition.
BTW it shows that you're a photographer. Nice shots!
Thank You! I was very excited to come across a K1 that was untouched and had all the original parts.

I appreciate the kind words about the photographs. I just finished my CB550 rebuild and will be getting into the 450 next and hope to document the progress with photos and video on the forum as I go. And on that note- Here's a link to my first outing on my recently completed CB550 cafe. The bike was hit by a car and damaged quite badly in November so I decided to spend the winter rebuilding her in my apartment. Here's some footage of the first day out...

But back to the 450.

Guess what. Good news.

I changed the oil, replaced the plugs, caps, points, condenser, filters, battery, and handle bar rubber mounts. Spent some time going through the wiring and cleaned all the connections. Rebuilt the carbs and set to factory spec. Cleaned and adjusted the chain. Rolled the bike outside, kicked it over a few times to circulate some oil, turned the ignition, and she fired on two kicks!

I was able to take her out and about on a ride around Manhattan yesterday afternoon. Spent 5 minutes tuning the carbs and was off. Didn't want to press my luck as the tires look to be decades old so I kept it slow and local. The bike is running like a top and seems to be solid is most respects. Just need to replace the tires and wheel bearings and will be holding off on to much riding until that is sorted.

Photos and videos to come....

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Xylol & wintergreen oil are reportedly the cure for hardened rubber (knee pads)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Xylol & wintergreen oil are reportedly the cure for hardened rubber (knee pads)

I found the wintergreen oil to be expensive and irrelevant - plain xylol is just as effective.
In fact, a soak in plain ol' diesel works well too.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts