Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 1968 CL350 that is a long way from home here in the UK! Owned it about 8 years and ridden a few hundred miles only in that time, but ran ok previously. I left it stood for 4 years and recommissioned it this year. All seemed not too bad considering, it had been stood with fuel stabiliser, but the carbs felt a bit in need of a birthday as was stalling at idle and backfiring at higher revs.

So I did a full carb clean out and tune up, main and pilot jets were clogged, rest ok. Camchain done, tappets done,points reset and timed up, it fired up a treat and after some fettling idles ok at about 1300 revs warm. BUT, it is bloody noisy tappet wise i think.
I did open out the clearances, to what the Clymer manual says, ie 2thou inlet, and 4thou exhaust, but I think the exhaust is too big? Someone said the 68's have a different cam and higher redline, does that affect the tappet clearance. it's a shame, it runs nice, but it so flipping noisy, it doesn't sound right!

Shall I try 2thou and 3 thou instead?? Or stick with 4 thou exhaust?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have a '68 CL350 owner's manual, and the exhaust clearance has been blacked out in the text - it came new from the dealer that way. However, I can see .002 through the blackout. I'm not saying that's the correct clearance, though, since the dealer blacked it out. It could have been a misprint. Are you sure the cam chain is adjusted correctly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the camchain at 90 degrees past TDC compression stroke on the left cylinder, took the adjuster off, check it was all free, locked it out, replaced it, and let it spring back to tension.

I definitely ended up loosening the exhaust tappets to 4 thou. Interesting what you say about the manual and the 2 thou being blanked out! Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I just redid the tappets and the RH inlet and Left hand exhaust was indexed out he wrong way on the adjuster screw, my fault for poor lighting when I did it! I redid the cam chain tension also but there was no obvious noise to show it taking up slack. it does appear a bit quieter, but still a little noisy. I find it difficult to get such thin feelers in with the tank still on, even lifted, so I think I will run it a few miles then strip it down again and redo it. I also have some new points coming from CMC so then they get here i will time it up again. tbh, when I paid shipping etc, I half wish I had gone for an electronic kit. Still may!

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.