Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cutting and pasting the build post I put up over at caferacer.net because, well, I'm lazy :)

Anyways - here goes - my just about finished cl350 in new clothes...


I received the bike in trade from a friend a while back who had decided to bail on the bike and start working on an old RE5 he had. My inital thought was to give it a quick cleanup, toss some clubmans on and that's about it. I'd seen the bike once before, and knew it was in sorry shape, but apparently my memory had made it a bit nicer than it really was. :) Not horrible, but a bit tired.





Once I started the breakdown, my imagination took hold and the project grew in scope (as they often do). There was a lot I was going to have to replace or really clean up.



The motor was manky and had a bit of rust on it, but wasn't too bad - out came the 000 steel wool and a good handful of hours. Carbs were destroyed, bike ran like poop, you know the drill.



A shot with the tank in place prior to paint



Frame back from powdercoat



Tank prep, Paint on the tank, lining up the decals prior to clear coat








I found a seat over in the UK that I really liked - however, they don't take credit cards, paypal, U.S. dollars or a check from a U.S. bank. Thankfully, I have a friend in Wales, and she took care of the purchase for me :)

I had some leftover rearsets from an f4i track bike, and thought of using them - however the bolt spacing wasn't quite wide enough to fit cleanly, and I didn't want to set them up higher as I've seen done with universal frame clamps. I managed to source a set of '05 RR rearsets for pennies, and the bolt offset matched perfectly. Carved up some old exhaust spacers and worked them into rearset spacers.



I worked through a few different attempts at fabricating linkage to keep the standard shift pattern, but none worked as well as I'd hoped. In the end, I used the shifter arm from a cb550 and it was the right fit - however, it's now GP shift.



It's got a newtronics kit on there now to get rid of the points, and it'll stay on there until it decides to die.

I've got exhaust on the way, but it will be a few weeks before it shows. Until then, theres copper tips on the headers with some home-made baffles inside to add some backpressure. Carbs are tuned as well as can be expected, but I won't worry too much about that until the final exhaust is installed. Starts quickly, runs great - gotta love Honda.









What's left to do? Exhaust when it comes in; I've got the smaller white headlight bucket and need to source the chrome ring so that I can put that bucket back on - I thought the one I had would fit, but alas; I need to disassemble and paint the guages; I've got a full front end from end f4i with calipers and discs - I'd like to work out lacing up some stock rims with the correct spacing for the discs, but that will be worked on over the winter, I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
bitchin' love the paint & tank graphic.
How much does a frame powdercoat cost? thinking mine is a good candidate this winter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
by the way...I have that same '94 nitro snowboard that's in the background...have it all tuned for the wife to use, poor girl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks :) It's coming along, can't wait for the exhaust to be done.

The powdercoating was reasonably cheap - maybe 250$ for the frame, swingarm, fork covers, assorted small parts like the brake torque bar, etc.

The tank was hammered out by the guys over at Ohio Cafe Racers - they were one-offing those tanks for a while, not sure if he still does them anymore. He did an amazing job, it's a beautiful piece of metal work.

Yeah that Nitro board is an oldy but a goody.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top