Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and thanks for reading. I'm new to the forum and not a bike person by any means, but I've recently found a 1968 Honda CB450 K in my possession (original owner passed away) and I'm trying to determine the value of the bike so it can be sold. I have a mechanic who will be looking at the bike this weekend to determine the issues it has. Here is what I know at this time, which is not a lot.

The bike was garage kept and ridden in NJ. 6,732 miles on the odometer. Turns over, but does not start. Has been cleaned up some for the photos. VIN CB450-1016877.

Ultimately I'd like to determine the value of the bike working vs. not working, that way I'll know whether I should sell it as is, or after being fixed. But any tips, help, or specifics I should look into more and research are all welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Your bike is a 1966 judging by the serial number.

I can only tell you what I got out of mine on ebay in very clean, running condition, without original mufflers, similar miles, but with proper painted fenders - $4500

I'd say running, yours should bring more because of the mufflers and original emblems.

Thats a great bike BTW. You should keep it. it will only increase in value over time, better than money in the bank.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello C10 ( name?)
I wonder why you think it may be a 1968 Bomber? Have you paperwork to confirm by any chance? That would help with it's value and year of manufacture. Did the deceased leave any documents that you can find? You also need to confirm the engine number here.
More close up pictures would be of great help as any prospective buyer would like to observe as many original parts on it as poss. Certainly holds promise there at only 6000 miles, which may be original? I pray those pipes(exhausts) are in good condition. Any holes,cracks etc? The speedo will be quite expensive to overhaul and the engine/carbs are probably OK but are a big risk to the buyer in non running condition. Even then, someone who knows their way around these old Honda's should have to have reasonable knowledge on how to get her running for you or damage may well be done here. Perhaps $2000 if not running and nearer $4000 in good running condition with electrics/starter all serviceable. Quite potentially expensive to get her running again. How old is the oil/ petrol etc?
Sorry for all the questions but these will be thoughts of many a prospective buyer. Spares or rebuild, along with price, will be the deciding factor. It would cost close to £5000 minimum to restore the bike to a good/very good over all standard.
If purchased for a realistic price, then a restoration, if all it is original, would definitely be on the cards. Bombers are still well sort after. But bear in mind the Classic bike market in UK has recently slowed down and some items are taking a long time to sell - perhaps not at the advertised price? The U.K.again, For instance has witnessed a very large number of US imports flooding our market in the last 2 years and these bikes , in this condition, are regularly turning up here from around the globe, particularly from the States. Some of them simply as a spares package which has Somewhat 'confused' the Classic bike market recently.
Good luck C10 and I'd be interested to see how it all goes. Wish I could have a closer look at her as, that mileage, and potentially all there, would make an interesting project. We call these 'Barn Finds' and and can often prove most interesting!
Nige.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
These were slow sellers new, and many states allowed the title to reflect year sold, not manufactured. The VIN would put it pretty firmly 1966, but it does not matter greatly as the changes in K0 over their brief span are almost all in the early part of the run. Right now your bike would fetch about $2500 as is, $4200 running, give or take. But you should keep it! They are big fun to ride hard (the tach goes past 10k for a reason!) and you don't seem to need any of the expensive parts that frustrate restorers. Bet you can have it road worthy for less than $1k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts