Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago, I bought a 1968 CB350 K0 Police bike from an estate. The bike is mostly complete, although some of the parts have been removed and are in boxes. I'm going to restore the bike, but want to keep it as correct and original as possible. The problem I'm running into is that I can't find much info aobut the CB350 Police bikes. Most of the Honda Police bike info out there is about the 450. Since I bought the bike form an estate, I can't ask the previous owner about it. It also has a luggage rack, ticket box with police light, red/blue Tomar lights, and a few other miscellaneous parts.

My plan is to keep everything as original as possible. The bike does show some wear and has some patina, but I'd rather keep it original than re-finish parts that are usable as-is. I'm a strong believer in the "it's only original once" philosophy and would rather have an original bike that shows some wear, rather than a pristine bike that's been re-painted and re-chromed.

Here's what I know is unique about the CB350 Police bikes:

They have either the chrome tank or the CL style tank. I have seen pictures of them painted both black and white.

They have the long front and rear fenders, with a rolled edge. It looks like the black bikes mostly have chrome fenders and the white bikes mostly have white fenders, but I have seen pictures of white bikes with chrome fenders and black bikes with black fenders.

They have fully shrouded rear shocks. The top parts is painted black on the black bikes and white on the white bikes.

They have a uniquely shaped front crash bar.

Most were fitted with a unique rear luggage rack. Some had solo seats with a big rack, and some have dual seats with a smaller rack.

The speedometer is integrated into the headlight bucket. It does not have separate gauges like most other CB350's.

They were often fitted with either Stanley or Tomar lights, clamped to the top of the crash bar. All of the Stanley lights I've seen on Police Hondas have red lenses and white buckets. They are mostly installed white bikes. The tomar lights have red/blue lenses and chrome bodies. These are mostly installed on black bikes. I have seen pictures of other light and siren combos on some of the CB450 Police bikes though...

Here's what I don't know:

The VIN on my bike shows that it's a CB350. The bike has the rear CL scrambler exhaust bracket installed, and came with a set of early style scrambler pipes. It has the correct for 1968 CB pipes on it. Did any of the CB's come with the CL style scrambler pipes installed? I'm thinking that the previous owner just bought the CL pipes and was planning to install them, but just wanted to check.

I have found references online of police departments in Australia, the Netherlands, and the UK using CB350's. I have found several references saying that the UK CB350 Police bikes were sleeved down to 250cc and wore "250" side cover badges. I have found no references of CB350's being used as Police bikes in the USA. Does anyone know if they were?

On the bikes that were sleeved down to 250cc for the UK, does the motor serial number still start with "CB350..." or do they read "CB250..." ?? My engine number is 350, and my side cover badges are also 350, so I assume by bike has not been sleeved down? Is there any way to tell, without opening up the motor?

Were the Police lights installed from the factory, or were they installed by the individual Police departments? I have a set of red/blue Tomar lights that i'd like to install, but I want to make sure they would be the correct ones for this bike. Does anyone know how to tell which lights go with which bikes, and which ones (if any) were factory installed?

Are these bikes rare? I can't find much information about them? How many Police model CB350's were made?

These are the only two photos of black/chrome CB350 Police bikes that I can find on the internet. These are not my photos, I borrowed them from other sites. If anyone has more photos or info about these Police bikes, please post them! EDIT: After further research, these bikes might be the Domestic Japanese Market model, not police bikes??

Both of these bikes have the "250" side cover badge, so I assume they are both from the UK. Are there any differences between the UK, Netherlands, and Australia bikes? If there was a USA model CB350 Police, was it different?

unnamed.jpg
IMG_20140306_00184440.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Wow! I have no answers to your questions except that I do believe your bike to be quite rare, especially if it's a British police bike found in the US. Your research is also more extensive than any I am familiar with, really interesting. I'm sure others will be along who will have some answers and I'm betting this will be one of the most widely followed projects we've had here in some time.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Yes, very cool and very rare looking. I do not have specific info on these bikes but I do have a great interest in your project as information comes along. Do you have a title for the bike? Does the frame serial number start with CB350P-xxxxxxx? Knowing the serial numbers of the frame and engine would be of interest and could help to start putting the puzzle together.
Have you taken a look at the cmsnl website? There are a couple of documents located on there about 350 police bikes. I can link to these if you haven’t seen those yet. Also I remember this photo from this forum recently.

IMG_3463.JPG

I cannot take credit for this photo. Credit goes to HT member 83XLX. It was taken at Barber this past October. This seems very close to what you have if not the same model. It has the unique fenders and police headlamp shell. It appears someone in the VJMC has this bike in the US. Perhaps 83XLX knows more? Good luck with an exceptional looking project!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting the picture! Yes, it looks pretty much just like my bike, except for the low handlebars, which match one of the internet photos that I posted. That's the exact front fender I have in a box, so I'm pretty sure it's the right one now.

The photo of the bike at Barber has different mufflers than my bike, and the two other internet photos I found. My bike, and the other 2 internet bikes, have the "blunt end" mufflers, but the Barber bike has the "pointed end" mufflers. Maybe the exhaust changed from year to year?

The tank badge on the Barber bike appears to say "Dream". My tank badges definitely say "Honda"... so there's another difference. I can't read the tank badges in either of my internet photos, because the size/quality just isn't there.

I do have a clear title for the bike, and the VIN on the title does match the frame. The VIN is "CB350-xxxxxxx" It's NOT CB350P-xxxxxxx, like you suggested. From what I've read, the CB450 Police bikes have the "P" in the VIN, and were commonly referred to as the CB450P, but I haven't found any reference to the 350 Police bikes having the "P" VIN.

I'd love to hear form some other CB350 Police owners though, to see if they have the "P" VIN or not...?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did check out the Consolidated Motor Spares website (CMSNL). They list both a CB350 P0 and a CB350 P4. I think the P0 model, which should be like my bike, has the early style side covers and gas tank with chrome side panels. The P4 model is the later model that has the CL style tank and later model rounded side covers with the slots. This is the image CMSNL uses for the P0 model. The image is tiny and low quality, so this is the best I can do. It does a good job of showing the Police model triangle shaped crash bar, like my bike has. This is posted as a tiny thumbnail image on the CMSNL website, next to the CB350 P0 model listing. I enlarged it here:

CB 350 P4.jpg
I can't find this Honda Police ad anywhere else. I've even tried reverse image searches, using this image file, and have turned up nothing. I'd love a high quality version of this ad, so I can really study the pictures and read the text. Does anyone know where one exists?

Some more research has turned up the CB350 "Domestic Market", referring to the Japanese domestic market. There's a whole thread on it here:
https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/104618-domestic-cb350.html

Now I really need to figure out the whole "P" in the VIN question, to see if I have a Police bike, or a Domestic market bike. Do the 350 Police bikes have the "P" in the VIN? I read that they do not, but need to confirm. If not, how are they distinguished from the Domestic market bikes? The funny looking triangle shaped crash bar, luggage rack, cop lights, and speedometer/dash are the main differences I see between Police and Domestic? The CB350 P4 Police, seen here in a Police museum in Australia https://sites.google.com/site/ntpmh...ry/equipment-1/vehicles/motorcycles/honda-350, has a frame VIN of CB350-xxxxxxx, and an engine serial number of CB350E-xxxxxxx confirming what I read that the 350 Police bikes do not get the "P" VIN, but this is only one bike, and not definitive proof. This is also a P4 model, and my bike is a P0. My bike's VIN and engine serial match this pattern though.

I know with near certainty, that the Police models have a single round speedometer, as can be seen on that P4. This is a later model CB350 P4 Police, with the white CL style tank and late model slotted side covers. It doesn't have the crash bar or cop lights, but you can clearly see the single round speedometer.
https://sites.google.com/site/ntpmh...ry/equipment-1/vehicles/motorcycles/honda-350
I have read online, but have no photo proof, that the white bikes got a white speedometer face and the black bikes got a grey speedometer face. Can anyone confirm?

The domestic model appears to have the combo oval speedo/tacho. I borrowed this picture form the Domestic CB350 thread:
Domestic model.jpg

The Domestic model parts list, also from that thread, lists:
Speedo Tach mount 37241-283-008
Speedo Tach Cushion 37242-283-000

This seems to confirm that the Domestic gets the oval dual gauge, while the Police gets the single round speedometer. While not currently installed, my bike has the single round speedometer, that came in a box of parts with the bike.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I also saw that bike at Barber in the VJMC show - and it was not described to me as a Police model. Here the quote from my post after I got back:

Had to stop by the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle show on one of the hilltops, and saw this unusual 350. According to the individual who owned the bike, it is a domestic Japanese CB350 made during the transition year between the CB77 and the first CB350 - with some shared 305 parts. Certainly different than any 350 I've ever seen, and it did look like it could be original

350looks305ish.jpg

that picture above actually looks like the picture I took!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's funny how pictures of cool bikes get around the internet so quickly! Thanks for the info!

You're right, I've also read that the bike in the photo is the Domestic model. My real question now is how to tell the Police model from the Domestic model, to see which one mine really is.

I also found this very cryptic thread about another 1968 CB350 Police bike. He seems to have the 250cc motor, so I'd assume its an old UK Police bike, but the thread really doesn't have much info in it.
https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1...b250k-engine-combine-project-restoration.html

He posted a picture of his frame VIN. It doesn't have a P. I don't want to post my VIN on a public forum, but his Police bike VIN is VERY close to mine. We're less than 100 bikes apart. I wonder if similar bikes (Police, Domestic, export, etc.) were built in sequential batches?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here's one of the only pictures of a black CB350 P0 that I've found. It was posted in the '60's magazine ads' thread. The original poster of this photo said that it was taken in a motorcycle museum in India.
black police version.jpg

This one has the same crash bar and lights as mine, but it has the solo seat. The CMSNL parts diagrams show both a solo seat with a rack/box and a standard length seat with a smaller rear rack for the P0 model.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I have an interest in these early police bikes having now restored 4 of the k0 and k1 450s.

I have no knowledge of the 350p other than odd bits picked up while restoring the 450s.

Below is just a brain dump to provoke further thoughts and discussion and is my opinion only and I could easily be wrong!

Firstly, what a good k0 bike to have. Looks pretty complete.

Without the P on the frame I wonder why do you say it's a police bike? I cannot see any police parts on it? I think you are saying there are police parts in boxes? Could they be from a different machine?

I say this because the leaflets I have relating to 360p are dated 1971 and 1972 and the bikes are white. They are white the reason being it has been proven they are more easily identifiable to other road users in the same way red is used for fire engines.

I think it was only the later models used as police and the later models may have the p frame. The frame and engine numbers can normally be found in the parts manuals and changes in the various models can be identified.

With the 450s I have the police parts are shown with their part numbers. A lot of the police parts are used on quite a few different models and so are interchangeable.

Various police forces used different combinations of Red or/and Blue lights.

I do not recall the UK using the 350s but they may have been tried out. I think it is unlikely they were in use in the US as the 450 was tried and failed as the bigger Harleys were still in favour and then the big Kawasakis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Without the P on the frame I wonder why do you say it's a police bike? I cannot see any police parts on it? I think you are saying there are police parts in boxes? Could they be from a different machine?

You nailed it, this is my main question. My bike does NOT have the "P" VIN, but I'm aware of 2 other CB350 Police bikes that do NOT have the "P" VIN either. One is the P4 model (the P4 model looks very different from t he P0 model), in a Police museum in Australia, shown here:
https://sites.google.com/site/ntpmh...ry/equipment-1/vehicles/motorcycles/honda-350

The second is 1968 P0 model, owned by a member on this site, which also does NOT have the "P" VIN. Unfortunately, the thread on this bike has very little info, and the member is not very active or answering messages. His thread does have a clear photo of the non-"P" VIN though.

I have also read and heard that the CB350 police bikes did NOT have the "P" VIN, like the 450's did, and the above two bike seem to agree with this. I'd still like to know for sure though...

My bike came with the crash bar and front lights installed and the Police ticket box and a few other parts in a box. It has the triangle shaped crash bar, cop lights, rear rack, ticket box with blue light, and the headlight bucket with single round speedometer. There are still some boxes of parts I need to go through too, so there might be more.

You asked the million dollar question though: Are these police parts from my bike, or are they from a different bike? I'd like to know for sure, but don't know how to tell the P0 Police from the Domestic model.

Most of the photos of the P0 models I see are white bikes, but the picture above in post #9 is a black P0 with the cop lights, crash bar, rear rack, and box.

I'm positive that there are both P0 and P4 Police models of CB350. The P4 is very unique, and easy to identify. The P0 however, looks pretty much just like the Domestic model and I don't know how to tell them apart, aside from the presence or absence of the Police accessories.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
black and silver police version.jpg

I posted this photo on the previous page, but I'm fairly convinced that this is what my bike should look like. This appears to be a 1968 or 1969 CB350 P0 model, in black. I'm told this photo was taken in a motorcycle museum in India, although I don't know exactly where or which museum. If any one has any info on this bike or the museum, I'm really interested.

Interestingly, it looks slightly different than this Honda ad for the P0 model:
CB 350 P0.jpg

The bike in the ad is white, and has rubber fork boots. The bike in the photo is black and has the black metal fork covers. They're definitely both early P0 models though, since they have the chrome tank panels and early style side covers. The black bike in the above photo is the closest thing I've seen to my bike. My bike has the single speedometer in the headlight bucket, the triangle crash bar with cop lights, and that same front fender license tag bracket.

It doesn't seem like the P0 350 police models were as well documented or standardized as the 450 and 750 models. Pretty much all of the P4's i see are white and look the same, but the photos of the P0's vary a lot...

All of the P4's are white, have the CL tank, new style side covers, solo seat, red lights, etc.

I've seen photos of both white and black P0's with the chrome tank panels. I've seen both red and red/blue lights on the P0. Most of the photos show the solo seat with box, but the parts diagrams also show a longer seat with a rear rack.

I really wish I had some more documentation or history on this bike, so I knew for sure where it came from and how it should be outfitted...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I wonder what the implications will be, if any, with respect to riding this bike around restored in full police trim. I know when I worked at the City of Tampa Police garage and we disposed of old Harleys (I was no longer there when they disposed of the older Kawasakis), all obvious police equipment had to be removed from the bikes before they went to auction, including lights, police stickers and emblems, sirens, etc. The cops all used portable hand-held radios so there were no permanently-mounted radios to remove. Your bike looks great, and is even more curious with the tank that makes it look like an early domestic Japanese 350 with the 305 look

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
In my stae, its legal to drive around antique police/emergency vehicles if they have a 'historic' registration and tag and if you cover any colored lights or logos when driving.

I just put covers over the red and blue front lights when I ride it around.

Unfortunately, I don't know the bike's history so I have no idea how it came to be or how/if/where it was sold to the public and then imported to the US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, what an awesome old photo! Thanks for sharing! That light/siren contraption on the front fenders looks pretty cool.

Those look like CB77's, not CB350's, but the gas tanks look really similar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts