Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a CL175K0 with a broken kickstarter shaft (motor is otherwise fine). I've also got a CB160 motor in pieces, and a complete spare CB175K5 motor.

So, I got to thinking that it might be quicker to add electric starting to than to disassemble the motor to replace the kickstarter shaft. Heck, I can even do it in the frame.

The CB175K0 (sadly, not sold in the USA) has the same motor as the CL175K0, but, with electric start. So, I compared part numbers from the parts diagrams for CB175K0, CB175K4 (should be applicable to any Vertical-cylinder 175cc twin), and also CB160.

I came up with the following chart showing from which bikes that were available here in the US from which these parts can be sourced. This, of course, would be applicable elsewhere in the world, as, I would think both the CB160 and CB175K3-7 (or CL175K3-7) are much more plentiful than the one-year CB175K0.

As you'll see, some bits can be sourced from other motor, others, only from one or the other. Most of the bits can be sourced from a CB160 (or CL160), but, the starter chain, and motor sprocket should come from the

CB160CB175K3-7
Starter MotorYESNO
Starting Sprocket (at sprag)YESYES
Starter ChainNOYES
Motor SprocketNOYES
Clamp-A MotorYESN/A
Clamp-B MotorYESN/A
Clamp-C MotorYESN/A
Outer Clutch (Sprag)YESYES
Plate, Starting (attaches to outer clutch)YESYES

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
My guess is the 160 parts would go right on. Not a whole lot of difference between the 160 and the first generation 175.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is the 160 parts would go right on. Not a whole lot of difference between the 160 and the first generation 175.
Definitely worth trying. I'm going to guess that the chain is different in length, and the sprocket likely different in diameter.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
The starter motors are the same between the 160 & 175. The 160 rotor should fit right on the crank, the chain will be the correct length.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts