Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sunday May 1st, 2022

Drove from Charlotte NC to Athens GA to bring home my first motorcycle, a 1967 Honda CL160. Serial # confirms it’s a factory built CL, not a dealer model.

All original equipment is present EXCEPT OEM Muffler and Carbs, Skid plate is cracked but I’ll have it repaired. Fenders and Frame seem in ok condition. Seat frame is good, “leather/pleather” is trash. Has a slow drip oil leak from around the transfer case area, just adjacent the kick stand. Electrical is a mess… frayed wires and crappy connectors.

It does start, but has a high/unstable idle. Gas tank has large amount of corrosion inside so I haven’t had it running but a few seconds

Paid $1000 for it, can’t wait to get it fully operational.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Hood

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May 4th 2022

Got some time to turn wrenches today. Spent about three hours or so on disassembly.

Got the tank off, the petcock valve removed (had to drill the head off one bolt,) and the tank washed out. Filled it with White Vinegar. Going to leave it for about two days then swish with 2 Stroke Oil. (Should have taken before pics but forgot!) Barbed downspout on left rear of tank is completely clogged with black gunk… hoping the vinegar will help with that as well.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue

Decided to remove the Headlight/Speedo from the forks, God I absolutely love the look of that oval speedometer! Front Fender has 4 different length bolts and two hex sizes (13mm and 14mm) ???

Wiring is a t-total mess,so many splices and crimps…. I may have to build a wiring harness from scratch!

Looking for a full wiring diagram if anyone has one!

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Electricity Cable Gas

Pulled the front and rear fenders and tail-light, rear fender bolts that thread into fender all missing excluding the one that had zero thread left and had been replaced by a nut and bolt. And of course the wiring there is also atrocious.

I was originally leaning toward “full restoration” for collector purposes, but with as much shade-tree work has already been done to this bike, I doubt it would ever be worth the investment.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
If you do decide to go the full restoration route, I have a set of near mint original tank emblems. They are impossible to find, and belong on a restored machine. PM if you are interested

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you do decide to go the full restoration route, I have a set of near mint original tank emblems. They are impossible to find, and belong on a restored machine. PM if you are interested
Thanks for the offer! I’ll let you know, I have a set and they are in pretty good condition surprisingly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May 8th 2022

Took a few days and 6 Gallons of White Vinegar but the tank is 95% clean of rust, some surface rust in a few spots but nothing thick or flaky.

The barbed downspout took a ridiculous amount of effort to de-clog; approximately 3 hours, 2 thin drill bits broken, and a few super bent pipe cleaners later it was clear and flowing smooth.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts