Honda Twins banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my 1967 CB450D that I have been hoping to restore for over 23 years :-( I am moving and finally had to face the fact that I was probably never going to get a chance to bring this beauty back to show condition. Here's a link for all you Honda twin fans.....

Exceedingly RARE 1967 Honda CB450D D Model in Original Sparkle Orange Paint | eBay

I apologize for this selfish plug of my own auction but I think it is a fantastic opportunity for one of you and if you some how missed this you would be very disappointed. I have been trolling the internets for a week and have seen zero mention of this particular scoot, so I figure those that know are playing it close to the vest hoping it escapes notice.

Has anyone seen Bonhams October sale taking place on the 18th? Yep, another CB450D up for auction. Beautifully restored and the pre-sale estimate is $14,000.00 - $15,000.00 .

Thank you for putting up with me! If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Has anyone seen Bonhams October sale taking place on the 18th? Yep, another CB450D up for auction. Beautifully restored and the pre-sale estimate is $14,000.00 - $15,000.00 .
Wow, that's a significant amount. Although "pre-sale estimates" might be an honest estimate of what {whoever made the prediction} thinks it will actually sell for... or an attempt by the auction house to drive up the price (I've heard/read a few things about some of the famous auction houses that convinced me I wouldn't want any of the people that controlled them to enter my house, lol, out of fear that they'd either pocket everything that was worth at least a nickel or "accidentally" fall and then threaten to sue me - which would, of course, require me to bury them under the basement floor). But, still, that is an encouraging sign.

I notice you mentioned yours needs to be restored? If it is anywhere near decent shape now, posting an image here might encourage people to visit your ebay ad (and bid). I would not be overly discouraged by the fact that your motorcycle has only been bid up to $1,025. Even some years ago when I followed a few eBay auctions, I noticed that the bids often took large jumps close to the end of the auction, and I assume that hasn't changed. Yours will probably jump a fair amount as well, as long as you have a valid title in your name (otherwise, maybe people are just bidding on it as a parts bike, I suppose?). Best of luck to you, and may it be purchased by someone who will ride it regularly.

Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MDM, thanks for posting on this!

The lower end / lower class auction houses do find it hard to resist over-estimating pre-sale values with the hopes of influencing the market but for the most part it never works as "The Market" is much more intelligent than that. I think that Bonhams may be a little over-enthusiastic in this circumstance, but that's just me! If they had estimated this Honda at, say, $11,000.00 - $12,00.00 I would think that would be a more realistic for a truly professional no-holds-barred restoration. But I, of course, have not seen detailed photos of the auction lot and this may be the case. I do know that a fully restored example does not appear often and when they do I have witnessed $9,000.00 - $10,000.00 but that was years ago!

Anyways, just to be clear my example IS NOT restored at all. I Just dismantled it and preserved it to prevent any further deterioration. I sooooo wish I had the chance to restore it and ride it but it never happened. This certainly could / would / be an occasional rider at the very least when completed. I agree with you - they should be on the road so that others can see and appreciate them. If they aren't the younger generations won't even know that they exist. and that would be an absolute shame!

I will try to discover how to post some pics.......

Wow, that's a significant amount. Although "pre-sale estimates" might be an honest estimate of what {whoever made the prediction} thinks it will actually sell for... or an attempt by the auction house to drive up the price (I've heard/read a few things about some of the famous auction houses that convinced me I wouldn't want any of the people that controlled them to enter my house, lol, out of fear that they'd either pocket everything that was worth at least a nickel or "accidentally" fall and then threaten to sue me - which would, of course, require me to bury them under the basement floor). But, still, that is an encouraging sign.

I notice you mentioned yours needs to be restored? If it is anywhere near decent shape now, posting an image here might encourage people to visit your ebay ad (and bid). I would not be overly discouraged by the fact that your motorcycle has only been bid up to $1,025. Even some years ago when I followed a few eBay auctions, I noticed that the bids often took large jumps close to the end of the auction, and I assume that hasn't changed. Yours will probably jump a fair amount as well, as long as you have a valid title in your name (otherwise, maybe people are just bidding on it as a parts bike, I suppose?). Best of luck to you, and may it be purchased by someone who will ride it regularly.

Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So sorry, I do not know why the reg. sticker pic is so huge - very annoying. Here's a couple more pics... I love the tool kit for some reason...
Antique tool Metalworking hand tool Tool

Here is the original engine (partially dis-assembled) and a pic of the winding in the original engine that parked this bike in 1970. There is another complete engine being sold with this scoot...

Auto part Engine
Auto part Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part
Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle
Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part
Engine Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive engine part Vehicle

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Looks like an enticing project. You are hurting your auction by listing it as local pickup only. People will want cooperation in a distant purchase.

·
Premium Member
27,047 Posts
In '67, the "D" kit tank and sidepanels came in Silver, Red, or Blue, and there WAS a round tank badge in addition to the knee pads......
So yours is not an "original" color, and the tank had bodywork done...
Fork covers and headlight were black with any of the three colors....So appears good there....

You DO have many of the kit parts that appear to be in decent condition for a restore, but some of the 4-speed engine case covers and motor mounts appear to be missing from the pics....They MAY be there though.....

Not to detract from your sale, as just what is there is worth several times the "at the moment" price.......
I hope it finds its way to someone that will faithfully restore it......JMHO....

Reactions: nigelrharris03

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
WOW @ "...traveling the world to photograph and film the last healthy reefs and creatures of our planets oceans and to blog about our adventures."

This would be a dream for me as well.
Are you a reefer by any chance?

·
Registered
119 Posts
FYI
Winning bid was $5101 last month on ePay. Proving the value of something is what someone is willing (and able) to pay for it. Congrats to the seller for finding it a good home!
Hopefully we get to see this one done!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.