Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to these bikes and have the opportunity to buy a 1967 CL90. What are some major things to look for before buying? Are parts easily found? It's going to need a new seat cover and foam. What is original on the bike and what is not? What parts are missing? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
One of the things to look for if its a running bike is the "auto " clutch. These bikes are abused and a heavy foot can damage the clutch parts. I seen some that were shifted so hard that the snap ring on the bottom of the clutch was driven from the groove. Parts are out there but I waited 2 months for an exhaust valve for one rebuild. Some of the clutch parts are no longer available so if its damaged it may take some time

find a used part for them. But if its cheep enough and worth the wait for parts go for it.

just some thoughts.

Bill

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm new to these bikes and have the opportunity to buy a 1967 CL90. What are some major things to look for before buying? Are parts easily found? It's going to need a new seat cover and foam. What is original on the bike and what is not? What parts are missing? Thanks
Welcome - I used to have one of these when I was 14. As memory serves, it's missing the chain guard (and obviously, the taillight as well), mud flap for the rear fender and the front fender looks like it came from a CT90. Also, the gas tank looks like maybe a CL125A. Centerstand looks bent backwards, likely from people putting it up on the stand with too much force, possibly bending the stand or the stop. Here's a pic of the CL125A showing the tank

cl125a.jpg

mine from back in the day

1965 S-90.jpg

Go here to look at the proper parts for that model

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl90_model1038/partslist/

edit - after more research, the tank is probably correct for the CL. Mine was an S-90 with some CL parts - and it should be a 4 speed with manual clutch, only the CT200 and CT90 had the automatic clutch 4 speed IIRC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. The owner said a friend had painted over the chrome fenders... Were the original fenders chrome???? Also is the headlight bucket area the correct color?? Do these bikes need a fully charged battery to start??

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Recently aquired a s90 from the origional owner.. from what of the local Honda gurus he said .."check the oil, the way the piston sits.. if there is oil.. and it rotates free... your halfway there."...,
My fuel tank needed flushing.. instead of messing with the carb parts (cleaning the low idol jet). I got a kit from 4 into 1... installed..best $14.96 I've spent IMG_5072.jpg
Dad... thanks for the parts info

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Welcome - I used to have one of these when I was 14. As memory serves, it's missing the chain guard (and obviously, the taillight as well), mud flap for the rear fender and the front fender looks like it came from a CT90. Also, the gas tank looks like maybe a CL125A. Centerstand looks bent backwards, likely from people putting it up on the stand with too much force, possibly bending the stand or the stop. Here's a pic of the CL125A showing the tank

View attachment 222361

mine from back in the day

View attachment 222369

Go here to look at the proper parts for that model

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl90_model1038/partslist/

edit - after more research, the tank is probably correct for the CL. Mine was an S-90 with some CL parts - and it should be a 4 speed with manual clutch, only the CT200 and CT90 had the automatic clutch 4 speed IIRC
Tom I'm no expert on these bikes, but a S90 has been on my wish list since I was about 15. The differences between the S90 and CL90 are:
Exhaust - the CL is raised above the rear axel
Front Fender - The CL fender is shorter in the front and the front brace bar curves up
Wheel size - the CL has 17 inch rims and the S has 18
handle bars - the CL bars are wider, higher and cross braced
Gas Tank - The CL shared the style as the CL 125/160 series and the S shared a Black Bomber style
Rear Sprocket - the CL had a slightly larger rear sprocket

That brings us to your bike, from the image you posted, It definitely has the S90 tank, handle bars and maybe muffler. The front fender looks cut down and it is missing the support bars. All of the S90s had painted fenders except the last year in the US where they are chromed. Pictures like this are great fun. I had a 1960 C100 that I bored out to a 65. Great memories.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jamespal in your thread you addressed it to TOM. Are you referring to someone elses bike or the 2 pictures I posted????

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Jamespal in your thread you addressed it to TOM. Are you referring to someone elses bike or the 2 pictures I posted????
Jim was commenting on my responses to your initial post and questions. Early in the S-90's existence, the fenders were painted silver. Later they were chrome, but apparently the CL90 fenders were chrome from the beginning in March of '67. I posted the picture of mine as an example of how close the 2 models were, and Jim is right about the front fender differences - mine was bobbed a bit by my Dad before being painted, and I remember mine was the early version with silver fenders originally. As I pointed out in my earlier post, yours is missing the chain guard, but after looking at my Honda Identification Guide it's apparent that your front fender is original, just painted, and there was no mud flap on the CL90 rear fender for whatever reason. The color schemes of the model are explained in the Honda ID Book entries, the silver on your headlight case may well be the original silver - but as the book mentions, it could have been combined with a candy blue or red frame/body (back then the T-bone pressed steel frames were often the focus of the main color). Not sure if it needs the battery for ignition... some of the smaller bikes back then ran on a set of stator windings in the alternator and used the battery for supporting the lights at low revs.

CL90.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tom, I'm pretty sure the bike is all original. The owner says they have had it since 1970 and is titled 1967 CL90.... They said a friend ( some friend ) painted the fenders and the tank red. Pretty sure the black body is original also

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Long time ago 'we' had most years of S90's. There were various changes made,, alloy cylinder with cast liner, different intake manifolds (plus carb and air filter, side covers, etc) and tank shapes.The 1970 was more 'squared off' and angular.
Motor is capable of a 112cc conversion using a CB175 piston but I forget the detail (probably easier ways to do it today?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just out of curiosity what value $$$$ would you guys put on the 1967 CL90. Not running, engine turns over...been sitting about 1 1/2 years. Has title

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Unfortunately, it is not worth very much. A couple of years ago I was looking at a runner in Seattle with title for $300. If it was a S90 I would have popped on it. This one is missing some parts and is pretty rough. It would be worth saving, but I think all old Honda motorcycles should be saved by someone.
These bikes are fun to ride, but they are challenged to keep up with traffic. If you live in the hilly part of the country you should stay off roads that have speed limits over 35. On the flat they can do about 55.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My 65 S90 has 18 x 2.50 tires.. 36 spoke... not sure exactly the rim with yet..

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
As far as I know, the carb manufacturer would have been Keihin, but the size I'm not sure of. I looked long and hard for any specs on the CL90 anywhere, and I couldn't find much. I'd guess it to be about 18mm, maybe 20mm (I believe the CB175 twin had 20mm carbs for comparison purposes). Tire sizes look like 3.00-17 rear, 2.50-18 front according to cmsnl.com

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
It does.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Not sure if it needs the battery for ignition... some of the smaller bikes back then ran on a set of stator windings in the alternator and used the battery for supporting the lights at low revs.
I'd still like to know if a CL90 needs a charged battery to start??? Anyone
I was attempting to re-display my answer above, but was beaten to the correct answer - I wouldn't have been as much help from memory, I'm almost 50 years older since then :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts