Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm working in a friend's CL160 engine. Got everything off the head, but the cams and cam shaft and finally got all the long studs to move freely, but when I try to get the head off, something hits the second front stud from the right about half way up. It makes a grove in the stud treads. Did I forget to remove/loosen something? The head won't come off at all!

Thx

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are the rockerarm arm and shafts removed?
If the shafts are pushed below the outside edge (toward the center of the head) they will press on the studs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they are not. I can not get the sleeves out. They say to use a 6 mm bolt and screw it into them, but don't have any and don't see treads in them. Any other way to remove them?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The 160 rocker shafts don't have puller holes. Get a hold of them ,as best you can, with pliers or a screwdriver wedged in the hole and try to turn back and forth to free things up. Once you get to where you can turn them a little you should be able to pull them out. Warming up the head first will help quite a bit. A quarter inch out will be plenty to be able to remove/install the head.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The 160 does have puller holes, and if I remember correctly the cylinder/head studs go through a grove cut into the rocker shaft. You remove the head and then remove the rocker shafts. I think what is happening is that the shaft is rotating against the stud as you are trying to remove the head.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The 160 does have puller holes, and if I remember correctly the cylinder/head studs go through a grove cut into the rocker shaft. You remove the head and then remove the rocker shafts. I think what is happening is that the shaft is rotating against the stud as you are trying to remove the head.
TOOLS
The 305 has notches for stud clearance and threaded puller holes. The 160 rocker shafts are a simple tube, both ends the same and smooth inside with no threads. If you push the shaft all the way in it will snag the threads of the inside stud. I have three of them apart in boxes here, I just looked. The head comes right off with the rocker pins pulled out just a little bit.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
It has been some time since I had one apart, but I remember making a puller to remove the rocker shafts with. I think I might have put a nut on the end of the bolt now that I think about it and used a piece of tube as a puller spacer. However I do know that I removed/replaced the rockers/shafts with the head removed.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
DSCF0411.JPG
That's the 305 rocker shaft tool on the left, 6mm. threads on the end. 160 rocker shaft on the right, 7mm. hole, a bit over 60mm. in length.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have pulled rocker shafts with strong(ish, nothing crazy) earth magnets, I don't remember if the cb160 ones are magnetic or not. Probably.

Other option is a nail filed down to just barely fit through, get it hooked onto the far end and pull it out that way

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd try using a heat gun or a small torch on the area around the rocker shaft, and a long thin screwdriver down the tunnel to use as a wedge (as Mike suggested).
I first encountered this issue when assembling the head and was puzzled why it wouldn't go on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used needle nose pliers with turning motion but they buggered up the tube end a little. Did you remove the bolt on the head cover and the center bolt on the back of the cylinder?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts