Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone on this forum. This summer I bought a 1967 CD (Yes, its a CD, not a CB), which had been stored in a garage since 1974. This bike was bought in Vietnam by an American soldier fighting in Vietnam, and he had it shipped back to the states. He stashed it away, not using it, and sold it in 1974 to a guy who also just tucked it away in his garage. I was able to buy the old relic this summer, and have almost completed the restoration.

The odometer reads in kilometers, and equates to about 600 miles. The rings had seized on the piston, and I had to pull the engine apart and replace the rings with original size "00" rings, lightly honed the cylinder, and put her back together.

Amazingly, the old and corroded battery that I removed had a manufacture date of 1966......so, the bike still had the original factory battery. Also, the tires are the original tires that were slapped on back in 67, and the tread is almost like new. The quality of the rubber was better back then, and I merely put air in the tubes and cleaned them up, and presto.......they look great.

I finished an acid treatment (apple cider vinegar) to the inside of the tank, where the old gas had reduced down to terpintine and lead. Used baking soda in the flushing process, and then did a thorough dry-out with a hair dryer, and immediately filled her with motor oil to prevent any flash rusting. The tank had a few small rust spots, and I went ahead and repainted the tank, and have let the clear coats dry well, and am ready for a good polish before putting all the chrome/emblems on.

I will try to add some pics:

Before:

STA73043.JPG

After:
STA74903.JPG

STA74915.JPG

STA74864.JPG

I do have some technical questions regarding the electrical system, and will be posting some questions soon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello again.......I have an electrical question which I am sure some of you can answer in a heart-beat:

When I was installing the new battery, I found a grouping of wires that go to the "+" terminal. This consists of 3 wires, one black, and two red (one of the red has a fuse link on it). Is the black wire supposed to also go to the "+" terminal of the battery? Does anyone know what the black wire is for? The wiring diagram I have seems to show it going to the turn signals (I think).

STA74233.JPG

The only thing I can think of is that the 3rd position of the key switch is supposed to make the rear tail light come on (Im guessing here), and this black wire supplies power to the tail light when the key is in the 3rd position.

So, some help would be appreciated regarding this black wire.

Also, I have a question about the power cable going to the starter motor. The cable from the starter to the solenoid is heavy duty, but the old battery only had a small red and a small black coming from the battery. The small battery red wire had a round end-clip and was connected to another wire that ran to the solenoid. Is that small wire sufficient to carry the amps/load when the starter motor is cranking?

In this pic, you can see the original battery dated 1966, and it has a small red wire and a small black wire coming from the battery......no heavy duty terminal blocks. How are these wires sufficient to carry the amps for the starter motor?
STA73073.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
That looks awesome! Lovely job you did there.
However, do not let looks fool you.
Change those tires as fast as you can.
They are no longer roadworthy.
They passed their expiry date about 50 years ago!

·
Registered
500 Posts
There should be small wires, except for ground to the frame, off the battery. They go to the starter solenoid and to the wire harness. Key is one of them, not sure what the other one is for (maybe recharging the battery). Than a big wire from the starter solenoid to the starter. Anyway, that's how it is on my bike. With time you'll learn your wire colours. On my CB 400, green is always ground, blue for right flashers and orange for left flashers. Don't know about yours. They build them almost murphy proof back then. Don't assume anything, since 2 other owners had it before you. Take a quick look at your wiring diagram.

Yeah, I think they say 5 years life span for tires. Checked DOT number in the circle next to DOT. 3 digits is before 2000 and after 4 digits. Lets say 1711, it was made the 17 weeks of 2011.

And be careful with those wires/connectors, they are very brittle after 50 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polish,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. This bike will not be driven on the public roads, but only occasionally and at slow speeds. I like keeping the bike as original as possible, and will keep the 50 year old tires on. I also will keep oil in the fuel tank and just use a small temp. fuel container when running it....this will keep the tank from any further rusting, and allow me to use fresh gas when running.

Back to my electrical issues:

The mysterious Black Wire shown in the pictures above: This wire was grouped along with the two Red wires in the original wiring harness, and disappears up under the frame. The Wiring Diagram does not show the Black wire grouped with the two reds, but does show a Black going from the solenoid and then to the Stop Switch and to the Winker Relay. The solenoid has the black and a yellow/with red stripe already coming from it. So, I still have no idea where this black wire should go......guess I could put an inline 5 amp fuse on it and attach it to the positive terminal and see what happens. If anyone can suggest what this black wire is for, I would appreciate it.

I did not hook up the black wire, and was able to start the bike without any problems......so, it appears not to be a mission-critical circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the tank's clear coat polished and then installed today. She is looking "Bad to tha Bone""

STA75287.JPG

STA75218.JPG

STA75207.JPG

STA75194.JPG

I still have not found out what that black wire is for. I tried putting it on the positive terminal, but nothing. I tried putting it to ground, but nothing, and I still have the rear turn signals not coming on......front ones will light up, but not blink, and the rear ones are showing no life. Removed and checked all bulbs and they were good.

Anyone have a similar bike with this black wire that is driving me bonkers?
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts