Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, have been reading about adjusting the compensating chain at the front of engine for slack in turinng the camshaft etc due to noise and skipping but I have turned it all teh way in and dont feel any resistance and the noise has not changed. longer blasts with the starter create horrible noise but shorter bursts allowed the tappets to move...

any thoughts?

when I use the electric starter it has a terrible griding noise and the valves dont always move leading me to believe the chain is skipping and not engagin the camshaft? or is it something else? Isaw a video of a guy who was having an issue with screws coming out due to not staking them but not sure this is it also? havent had it apart...

I also tried using the kick starter and the chain gringing noise doesnt happen so maybe it is the smae problem the other guy was having

now I have to find a 16 MM bolt to remove the rotor with as the rear axle is still holding the rear wheel on and I dont really want to take it of for just the purpose of removing the rotor

any thoughts appreciated

trying to upload video but keeps teling me "error try again later or contact admin"
Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
I can't speak to the kick starter sounds, it's tough to analyze when the engine only turns 2 or 3 revolutions with the kick starter. The electric start sounds as though the starter clutch is slipping, a typical repair necessary on older twins. The starter clutch is attached to the back of the alternator rotor as seen in this exploded parts fiche view. You'll need to replace #7, 8 and 23 (3 each) and inspect #6 to be sure it isn't cracked

·
Sensei
26,576 Posts
Maybe because you LOOSEN the tensioning bolt and it self adjusts....Tightening it snug just locks the adjustment.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the rotor off and #11 and the noise went away.

I put just the rotor back on and it would make less noise but it seemed the rotor would stop spinning with the crankshaft and then turn backwards. I took it off and the pin that goes into the groove in the rotor seemed to be wearing down and it might be spinning on it? pulled the pin out a little more and it still did the same thing. checked it again and the pin seemed out far enought to hold it, so...

will look at getting those parts just in case

thanks

·
Sensei
26,576 Posts
The METRIC Woodruff key that orients the rotor on the crankshaft is critical......
But, if removing the rotor eliminates the noises, it's most likely the starter clutch internals, (rollers, springs and guide caps), or possibly a cracked housing (part # 6 in the drawing)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for exploded diagram. I looked at the website embedded in the image for the parts, and although the parts were expensive but not overly, the shipping from England was more than the parts. The British Pound to Canada has always been terrible but is even worse right now - any Canadians on the list know where to get them in Canada? Have tried searching but got nowhere so far

my go to place: Sirius Consolidated doesn’t seem to have any of these and their prices have gone way up! And oddly, contrary to the newish Canadian law, everything is priced in USD when they are in Canada and have to price in CAD as of this past January

1 - 9 of 9 Posts