Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 305 Scrambler that I purchased new. When the bike was a few years old, I used the owners manual directions to adjust the timing chain. The instructions did not mention to first put the dynamo TDC mark 180 degs from the timing pointer when making the adjustment. The engine ran, but the chain made noise. I think I drove the bike this way for a couple hundred miles and parked it.
Fast forward 50 years and I am trying to correct this, but things are not going well. I removed the tensioner to see that the rubber wheel looks good and the spring has tension. I cleaned and lubricated the parts. The movement of the plunger is free. When attempting the adjustment of the chain, the plunger does not move while rotating the engine.
The chain has 2 inches slack when pushing and pulling with the tensioner removed. I wonder if 2 inches slack might be excessive?
Any help would be appreciated,
Ken

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I like to turn the engine over to a spot where all 4 valve rockers are loose(so the cam is free to move) loosen the tensioner bolt and let the spring do the adjustment. Check for a loose timing chain by turning the crank back and forth, with a wrench on the alternator bolt, while watching the points cam for signs of lost motion. Is part of the plunger still sticking out of the adjuster housing?, if so the chain is probably serviceable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like to turn the engine over to a spot where all 4 valve rockers are loose(so the cam is free to move) loosen the tensioner bolt and let the spring do the adjustment. Check for a loose timing chain by turning the crank back and forth, with a wrench on the alternator bolt, while watching the points cam for signs of lost motion. Is part of the plunger still sticking out of the adjuster housing?, if so the chain is probably serviceable.
Mike, The plunger is below the casting about 1/8." If I rotate the alternator bolt, the plunger jumps about 1/32" as I hear something that could probably be noise from the valve train. I could also re-install the tensioner and watch the points cam when turning the crank back and forth like you suggest.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, I removed the tensioner assembly to lubricate and make sure the plunger was free. I compressed the spring and tightened the adjustment bolt, then installed the assembly into the cavity. I then loosened the adjustment bolt, after tightening the 4 mounting bolts. There is no movement of the plunger when rotating the engine.
I have removed the exhaust pipe and tool compartment to have decent access, to attempt to make sure the wheel is on the chain.
Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts