Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put new wheel bearings in the front and rear wheels. It's been awhile since I took the wheels off the bike and can't remember how part #6 in the diagram interacts with the speedo gear #part 11. There are 3 threaded holes in part #6 and showing one bolt, but the fiche mentions 2 bolts?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
There are three phillips bolts holding the retainer in...One for each hole....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I don't understand your question... ALL three are flatheads and are underneath the mounted speedo drive.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I notice there's a screw on top of the gear but what makes the speedo gear move? On my nighthawk theres a notch in the gear that a lip from the wheel engages to turn the gear.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
This similar drawing shows the notch....(part #5 in this copy, notch at center of cropped pic), and the three screws...

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Apparently you have a broken part....I'll get a pic of the correct 'look' and post it.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Part #6 in your original drawing should have a couple of tabs that project sideways.
They fit into notches in the speedo drive inner and make it turn.
The fiche shows the backside of the part, so you can't see the tabs.

Right Steve ?? Or do I have it backwards?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Bill, and gaillarry... I'm not at the shop, so a 450 wheel pic will have to wait.... BUT, here's one of the similarly configured 305 wheel drive.....

It takes the identical speedo drive unit, so you are either missing the notches (two) or the top 1/8 inch of the cylinder that forms the notches has been broken/ground off...........Sorry for the fuzzy pic.....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I should be able to come up with a spare if he needs one.....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Let me check my junkyard... I should have several...... PM or e-mail me a shipping addy.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts