Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I was helping my neighbor with some electrical on his 1964 Harley when I noticed a set of wheels and a headlight peeking out from underneath a stack of exhaust headers in the back of his garage. Asked him and he said it was his sisters bike and hadn't moved since 1974. The deal was I cleaned the garage and got the bike and a bill of sale. Anyways looking for a manual PDF I've heard rumors of around here. Which screw is the idle adjustment on the carbs? I'm assuming it's the forward on with the knurled knob on the end but when I go to start it it revs fairly high. I've tried adjusting these all over and getting no joy. I pulled them apart and cleaned them all out pulled the Jets and the main jet tube. Had good flow through it all and the bowls we're clean when pulled apart. I haven't replaced the adjustment screw orings yet but would think it would do better than this. I also know about the oring at the head too but not getting any revs with spraying carb clean by them. Might have to adjust the float bowls too as the carbs drip ever so slightly with the fuel on.

Oh if anyone has a tank I'm looking the top of mine was only paint left. I put my finger through it when I realized I couldn't really do much with it the way it was.

Oh also found a complete collection of these too! Lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Nice find! Not a bad trade for helping to tidy up a garage. I take it the title was lost somewhere between 1974 and now? I would maybe work on getting that sorted before spending resources on the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea she is 88 years old and can't find it but swears she has it. In Michigan if it's under 500 they don't make you do a title insurance deal so hopefully won't be a problem.
Thx for the link

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Nice find, so nice to see one that hasn't had the fenders & exhaust butchered.

Reactions: jd50i

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx yea I was happy it was all there and the mufflers aren't rusted through. Had plenty of mouse nests in them though lol! They got a ride awakening today! Vroom vroom. I used some seafoam and a little oil to lube the top of the cylinders before turning it over. Clutch works brakes are good to roll. Chain is junk need air filters to probably keep it from idling so high. I've got a lead on a good tank and some parts so maybe before I get snowed in totally and strip it all down I'll go for a neighborhood ride.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It looks like you picked up some good reading material as well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well since the thermometer hit zero I've been holed up in the garage with the heat on buffing and polishing. Found my left muffler has a rattle inside it... ?. I also tried the aluminum foil and sal****er for polishing chrome! I've long suffered the turtle wax chrome polish and rubbing tell my fingers would fall off but no more my friends. Let the results speak for themselves.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More shiny pics of the headlight to come later. I'm thinking of a set of the trail style irc Sr something or others for it as I plan to ride on street and trail. Anyone have thoughts on another good dual sport tires for these?

Oh also I did a acetone test on the valves and everyone still had a nice puddle on top the next day so assuming those are seated fine. I hooked it up to my lawn mower battery and all the electronics work which is a plus. So I tried to start it after I cleaned the carbs and checked the plugs and soaked the cylinders over night to make sure they were lubed for the attempt. Here I made a vid of it running for my friend Marc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also I made a road trip after Christmas to buy a good tank. As you can tell the one in the above pic got a hole when I tried to shake some bolts around in it! Lol put my finger right through what was left of the paint and rust. So I found an awesome guy by the name of Scott, in Indiana that sold me a super clean tank and a Cl160 exhaust and some other bits! Thanks again Scott! I can't decide now if I want to paint the bike in the Candy Orange color ( orange being my favorite color). Or keep it dirty and throw a little clear over the bare metal of the wet sanded tank, shiny what I can and ride it.

Oh also planning on making a brown leather seat as I sew and do upholstery and am playing with leather. I'm also going to do some leather handle bar grips with some knarly thick hand stitched x pattern all around them for grip.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nice bike, any news on the title? If the sister is willing you should be able to go to the DMV and apply for a lost title. Most states have a method to replace it. It is easy if you are the owner.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Appick: Welcome to the forum. The 160 is a solid small bike and great fun to ride. Not too hard to work on either. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thx Iv been having lots of fun with it for sure. It's great to get back out in the garage and tinker on something again. I used to have a 1975 Honda Goldwing and a 1978 Suzuki GS850, both of which I sold to get a bigger sailboat. So it will be nice to have something to hit the trails with and do a bit of riding around town. I sort of have a collection of just old honda bikes now. I have my first bike the 1977 honda Ct70, and a 1979 Honda Ct90, so the Cb160, soon to have the CL exhaust on it will round out the collection nicely. :)

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Love those ct70's, can you tell by my username!

·
Registered
64 Posts
nice bike. that was my brothers first bike. i think it was a 1966. both he and his buddy bought them. they were blue. hope i can grab one one day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts