Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6 months away on a job site finally get back to working on the bike. Hooking up the wiring harness and perplexed by the group of wires shown in the pic below. There's 4 wires coming from the stator area(right side of pic) and there's 6 wires in harness (left side of pic)

Looks like the stator wires have different colour wraps on them, is this the colour I used to identify the wires?
and where do I find the other 2 wires to put into the harness connection?

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Coming out of alternator area you should have 4 wires:
Pink (to harness pink which is rectifier pink)
Yellow (to harness yellow which goes to rectifier AND regulator AND forwards in the harness)
White (to harness white which ultimately connects to that "forwards" yellow when the lights are on)
Green with red stripe (neutral switch) to green/red in harness

ASSUMING the other two of the 6 wires are green and black, they would go to the appropriate {same} color at the regulator)

I can't verify the current color "wraps' as they aren't factory and could be wrong....

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
AFAIK, (and remember), the early ones did NOT.....The 1968 ones did...(of course, the K1 was in production in 68 also, and it had a regulator).... Perhaps our UK 4-speed experts will enlighten us...But then again, US models differed a tad.....

This "up to '69" drawing shows one.....but it also shows pink and yellow wires, (and two meters)....I remember the 4-speeds having a brown wire and a white(?) wire....... This might just be for the K1...

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
That part is the rectifier....
Does anyone have a 4-speed wiring schematic they can/will post?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
These are often knackered by anno domimi (not sure if I spelt that correctly) I have changed mine for a new reg rectfier. This was a good move. Most often a new standard rectifier will work as well, and new silicon rectifiers have better charecteristics electronically.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
AFAIK, (and remember), the early ones did NOT.....The 1968 ones did...(of course, the K1 was in production in 68 also, and it had a regulator).... Perhaps our UK 4-speed experts will enlighten us...But then again, US models differed a tad.....
I don't know anything except the US models, really - I never personally saw a US 4-speed with a regulator.
And I've still never managed to come up with a 4-speed manual, sorry.......

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nigelrharris03 said:
This is mine its set as My machine is with no indicators. I hope that it helps.

[attachment=0:3mpks8b4]CB-CL450(4speed)a.jpg[/attachment:3mpks8b4]
Thanks, yours is the diagram I'm using. The p.o. of the bike painted all the wiring black, so its a pain stripping back the ends to see the color of the wires. I'll keep plugging away at it and no doubt I'll be back with more questions.

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
I recognise the Clymer color code pic.... BUT, that's for a Type II engine (one coil)
However, it shows NO regulator and the alternator colors are transposed from the 5-speeds...
Four speed pink is equivalent to 5-speed white.... four speed brown is 5-speed pink.....
There is no reason you could not add a regulator, but that doesn't solve your original question.
What colors are those "extra' wires?... Maybe we can tell from that.....

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi The regulator I have used is a single phase unit complkete with rectifier. Your absolutly correct that it was not a standardwith the K0. The charging circuit though, is somthing that you might want to consider upgrading, as it was not the best design in the world, using the battery as ballast. This can only decrease the life of a battery. Though that was probably the norm at the time.
I used a company called electrex world in the UK but I am sure that there would be alternative companies stateside.
For your interest this is the link.
They have some good helpful information on the site too.
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
66Sprint said:
I recognise the Clymer color code pic.... BUT, that's for a Type II engine (one coil)
However, it shows NO regulator and the alternator colors are transposed from the 5-speeds...
Four speed pink is equivalent to 5-speed white.... four speed brown is 5-speed pink.....
There is no reason you could not add a regulator, but that doesn't solve your original question.
What colors are those "extra' wires?... Maybe we can tell from that.....
Well spotted Steve
Mine is the Type1 with twin coils but esentially the wiring is the same with the addition of the second wire from the points to the coils and condencers

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Agreed Nige.. Thanks...... Even for the "not 100% correct' one it was very helpful....

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi Steve

I am going to uploqad a scan from my workshop manual for the K1 series however I will attach it to a second post as it seems to take ages to upload. It might be the size 1.5M, maybe that is too big.
This has the flashers included I have highlited my wires in yellow these are true for the K0.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nigelrharris03 said:
Hi Steve

I am going to uploqad a scan from my workshop manual for the K1 series however I will attach it to a second post as it seems to take ages to upload. It might be the size 1.5M, maybe that is too big.
This has the flashers included I have highlited my wires in yellow these are true for the K0.
It's appreciated, the more information the better.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Nigel,

You may want to upload it to a service that can handle a large file, if that is the issue. I have loaded 80mb manuals to www.sendspace.com

Then you can post the link to the file here and we can download it.

jon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts