Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I've been busy in my garage in these sub zero temps buffing and polishing bits and pieces.

I pulled off the left muffler to make it shine and found it has something heavy loose in it. At first I thought it was the baffle rusted away in there but it didn't come with baffles when I got it and I can see straight through the pipe. When I tilt it or shake it something heavy is clunking and sliding in it but nothing is visible. Thoughts suggestions or remedies appreciated.

I did just buy a set of CL160 pipes so I can use those but I wanted to have both sets...

·
Registered
3 Posts
its got a diffuser inside. Its like 4 bits of 20mm tubing welded together and then welded onto a couple of plates. These are spot welded to the inside half of the muffler. Over years , the spot welds rust away or just break away and thus the rattle. If you take the end diffuser out, you can see straight through. That's normal. If the pipes look fine, best to just leave. You could bung a load of araldite in which might work.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I had a similar issue with a pattern CB175 silencer from David Silver. The internal parts of the silencer had come adrift and were sliding about inside the outer casing. I bodged a repair by drilling into the side and putting a self tapping screw in to hold the internals in place.

I'd had that silencer a bit too long to complain, but when a second newer one showed similar signs DS kindly replaced it for me.

Regarding the internal baffle structure, I think most road legal / OEM exhausts have a similar internal construction. Many years back, I dismantled a road legal Scorpion can off my Hornet, picture below shows what I found inside. I'd guess that the CB175 pipe is very similar inside, no removal baffle, can't see straight through it. Principle must be the same though.

rphorn3.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts