Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to clean out the fuel tank(looks almost clean) and wonder what the second opening on the bottom is for? This one was sealed with a threaded bolt and washer. thanks Jim

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Cross over hose connection..... Otherwise, any fuel on that side can't get over the tunnel and to the petcock....

Some tanks had a CL72 style petcock with a third hose nipple, some just had steel nipples connected by the crossover hose under the frame.......

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
I don't remember what purpose it served then...... There are Bomber owners here that might......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correction: I have a nipple on the tank but it is threaded and plugged with a bolt. Is the fuel line to go over the nipple with a clamp.. Fuel tank section of parts manual #24 and 25-hose and clamp. Is there a good reason to put a bolt in the nipple? thanks Jim

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Does your petcock only have two hose barbs (nipples) on it? (or three, two vertical and one horizontal)?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
IIRC (maybe not) the original petcock had three barbs and was the same as the 250/305 used.....16950-268-000...... Two barb is likely a 16950-292-000 (5 speed 450) unit
Might just be my rusty memory......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Petcock for cb450 1965

I talked with Ohio Cycle who has many Honda parts and information. They said they have seen the Cb450 early tanks with the nipple and the bolt plugging it, They have not seen a petcock for this model with three hose openings. I am going to put a hose and clamp on the nipple and run it to a Y fitting then to the petcock with two hose pipes. thanks Jim

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
The method you described will NOT allow for complete shut off of fuel supply, a particularly dangerous situation for fuel thinned oil (and lack of proper lubrication) to occur....
You are FAR better off leaving it as it is......

As to Ohio Cycle, I wonder how they explain a five speed part number (-292-) on an earlier four speed bike (-283-) if it wasn't a replacement...A -283- part I could understand, but then WHY change it to a -292- number (different part/same usage) when the 5-speed engine/bike already utilizes MANY -283- parts ...The -292- part numbers didn't exist until the 1968 K1 models........

Perhaps Bill, Nigel, or Ronny will correct my (obviously failing) memory.......

·
Registered
755 Posts
The method you described will NOT allow for complete shut off of fuel supply, a particularly dangerous situation for fuel thinned oil (and lack of proper lubrication) to occur....
You are FAR better off leaving it as it is......
Perhaps an inline valve could alleviate this...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
On the last production run of the 305 Scramblers and Superhawks Honda eliminated the fuel crossover line on the tanks, perhaps they did the same thing on the bombers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honda Cb450 1965 I am going to leave the sealed up side of the tank for now. When I ride it I will see about modifications. im

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I've wondered about that bolt myself. There is practically no tunnel at the rear of the tank, so a crossover isn't needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts