Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought a CB72 CB77 rolling chasis. Stripped the frame down and found 1965 on the wiring harness. Looking through the parts book the forks are type 2 fitted to frame numbers 1030130 onwards 1964 on. There is not a frame number on the steering head, it has not been ground off.

Is there any reason why a frame would not have a frame number?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm not an expert of CB72s or 77s, but from what I've found the VIN should be stamped on the left side of the steering head - I suppose it's possible that many layers of paint have made it less than visible and I'm not sure if they came with a corresponding metal tag riveted to the frame on the right side of the steering head like the later bikes did, but if there's no evidence of it being ground off, maybe scrape the paint on the left side of the steering head and see what you find

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Ancientdad is correct the number is stamped on the steering head. Cant tell from the photo about the front forks but the side cover and rear springs are not from a 65 cb77. But who knows whats been changed over the years. looks like you have your work cut out for you and I want say go for it.

" I would rather regret the things I have done than regret the things I have not done."

Bill

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have not seen a CB72/77 frame without a serial number on the head. From the holes drilled in the front hub, it looks like your bike may have been raced at some point. Some racer may have welded in a custom steering head sometime in the last several decades. Also, if it was lightly stamped, the rust may have obscured it. I have a CB450 like that.

Here is a link to the Honda 305 forum, if you haven't been there already. You might find answers there, as well.
Honda305.com Forum :: Index

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Looked thru the FSM and Parts books, no VIN location mentioned in either one. They did mention the CB72/77 used high carbon steel for the frame tubes though.
The CA77 frame number was found on the left side of the frame just below and forward of the swing arm pivot bolt. Here's pictures of it
2db2ec77a5f4eeab9cad384e5d4807b8.jpg 359e8f5713fb343c85652da4f7289294.jpg c891145fffedcf36b01fa9285cab1f59.jpg c59451713c9951c72b7a460e63761d9c.jpg f119817fbe15fcfae83d7acc2eae709a.jpg

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Could be, the frame may have been replaced under warranty early in its life and neither the dealer nor the owner followed up with the right paperwork to get the number on the frame. Why would he go to the trouble?, it's already registered, just ride it. Unless you sell it across the state line somewhere you could ride it for years before anyone would have a reason to check out the frame number. Makes things kind of hard for the next owner.

Reactions: Dma251
1 - 6 of 6 Posts