Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the starting point:
IMG_5739.jpg

August 29, 2018 - Step #1 Remove the tank and prep for cleaning out the rust. Method: Vinegar and BB's and let it soak.
IMG_6012.jpg
IMG_5390.jpg

Looking at the side of the tank, I believe the original paint was white. Which is the color I had picked for the the rebuild.

August 30, 2018 - Looked at the tank this morning and the gas cap is leaking for I order a replacement off of Ebay $14.

Step #2 Clean up, body repair, and prep and painting.
Step #3 New battery, wiring, and electrical.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,203 Posts
Congratulations on acquiring a great bike. Looking forward to watching your progress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - so far so good.

Major Decisions made:
1) Going to attempt a Star Wars themed bike - Rebel Alliance Red Squadron X-Wing kind of look.
2) White paint, black stripes and red rebel alliance phoenix. 3D-printed a tank badge.
View attachment 264910
3) 6v to 12v conversion - see detailed thread in Electrical Forum.

Gas Tank Updates:
The gas tank cleaned up pretty well. Especially with the new gas cap I was able to shake the BBs around and now get showered with nasty rusty vinegar. I am sure knocked off the heavier rust based on the crap that came out of the tank. I may do a second pass with vinegar and BBs before sealing the tank. I will depend how it looks when I get done priming it.

I've started to strip the gas tank, side cover, and battery cover. There looks to be three layers of paint - the green, a heavy grey primer and a white layer below that. I've started the prep work, getting them sanded down. I will have a little bit of bondo work but not too much. The tanks side panels cleaned up nicely look a lot better. I haven't done anything but clean them with vinegar. At some point I'll polish them more and seal them with something. The 3D printed tank badges need holes drilled, some sanding and then painted. If I can pull off the finish I think I can - they should look awesome.

Other Items
I picked up a new set of handlebars off of Craigslist for $20. They are black and a little bit longer and higher than the handlebars that came with the bike. Those ones were toast - pitted pretty bad and bent to hell. I've been pulling off the hardware from the old handlebars and getting more familiar with switches, levers, and wiring. After getting a closer look at the original handlebars I noticed the left grip is torn so add that to the list of things to buy.

So far I've dropped about $600 so far. $480 of that was $440 for 65 CA95 and another $40 for a 63 CA95 frame with spare parts. I've been tearing the spare one apart to practice on before attempting anything on the project bike. I may be able to sell some parts off the spare frame to recoup a few bucks as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Finally got a few photos from the Tank and Side Covers work...
Here's the tank with the vinegar and BB soak...
IMG_7299.jpg
While it was soaking I started to strip the old green paint...
IMG_7248.jpg
Cleaned up the tank side panels... they cleaned up nicer that I thought they would...
IMG_5936.jpg
Sanded and sanded... the battery and side cover got a little bondo... sanded more...
IMG_5953.jpg
And then an first coat of primer on the tank...
IMG_5952.jpg
Overall I am happy with the look of the tank and battery and side covers so far.

Other than that I've completely pulled off old handle bars and disconnected throttle and clutch cables and electronics.
Looks like I will drill out holes on the new handlebars for routing the electric wiring and throttle cable.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top