Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Western NY!

I have just about wrapped up my CA77 project, it was a mess in April when I found it. I posted the initial condition, a few process pics, and the current state.
I'm still not charging, after changing out the stator and the rotor, which still stamped C72(L). What is typically the next place to look? The rectifier?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should probably elaborate; whatever voltage I can read at idle or with the ignition off, the system never increases by more than a few 10ths of a volt upon revving. My first thought was bad windings in the stator, so that was easy to replace. Then I considered the possibility that the rotor was demagnetized after 50 yrs. I founf one on eBay and changes that out as well. No go. Next guess is the rectifier... so, what classically is the culprit for a system that isn't charging? The service book I have suggests that Honda was very proud of their electrical generator design. Don't know if that was just a good system for that era.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
First, do you know you have a good battery?

What voltages are you reading?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New battery, try to keep it above 11v. Not going very far between trickle charging at <2A. Usually see @11.5v at idle, 11.7v at rev.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
New battery should read 12.6 volts minimum when charged. Check with the battery disconnected from the bike. Then check it with the battery connected to the bike and ignition off. If the reading is lower you have a drain on the battery which could also explain your low charging voltages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you ever figure out this issue?

I've come across the same problem. Stator seems to test fine. New Battery, and changed my rectifier to the one from Charlies place.
Today I went as far as putting in a completely new harness today because I thought it could be a short somewhere.
Everything seems to be working, except the charging system still doesn't charge.

Any insight you might have would be great!

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Phone me while at bike with a multimeter to test the system..........

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Ill be up three hours before you anyway...... Would prefer when in the afternoon there......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts