Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newb to this forum. Also a newb to just about anything mechanical. I'm a computer programmer by trade, and have inherited my Dad's CA95 that hasn't been started in 20+ years. So, I'm guessing I'll be a bit slow getting this bike in running condition, but looking forward to working on something with no cpu's in it!

Before I get into looking at the carburetor, batteries, etc, my first order of business is to get someone making a key, as it was lost years ago. The key code is an 'NA' code. "Someone" told me NA code are notoriously unreliable, and I'd need to take the key lock unit out to to get keyed. Assuming that's a true statement, I don't see a logical way this key switch comes out? Anyone have experience with this? Thx

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If there is a number on the front of the switch where the key is inserted there are a couple of sites on ebay that can make keys from that number. First order of business would be finding a full service manual.

If you are "new" read thru the manual before starting any thing. There is a lot of help on this site so ask away.

Bill

·
Registered
583 Posts
The switch should have an outer chrome ring on it that unscrews to allow you to remove the switch from the inside of the shell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Realy nice old bike!
Thanks! Thanks to the member tips, the key switch is off to get keyed. Now, onto removing the gas tank, which looks great from the outside, but oh the inside after sitting for 20+ years! :eek:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Grady- nice bike. If you are missing the side covers I sell those in plastic. Asian spec so they have badge mounting holes in them. $25 pair plus ship.
For a battery best bet is Rusty Riders in Ohio. Some times they have the proper battery on eBay- yellow top and bottom, clear middle. The uhansa (spell??) work but don't fit right.

I also have points, gaskets, cables etc for the CA95. They are a super bike, I have 2 plus a ca160 I ride often- more fun than big bikes!

Best way to get a key is to get the number off the switch and search eBay with that # and Honda Key- or hondakeys.com. Usually under $14. I have bought many both ways.
Have fun!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the gas tank and carburetor off. So I've got a couple of projects to get them back in order. Never worked on a bike before, the CA95 seems like a nice first project. But obviously not a lot of experience to back up such a statement!

IMG_2266.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
That is such a fine looking bike! Even more special that it belonged to your Dad.
Good luck with it!

Reactions: OldGrady

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nice looking bike. How many miles does it have? the muffler looks great. Is the left side in the same condition? Good exhausts are the hardest part to source. What is your course of action? My opinion is, if the bike is in good shape like this one, try to get it running before tearing it apart too far. That way the engine can be assessed for any rebuilding. Pay attention to tires and brakes. They time expire. The other thing to consider is all of the moving parts: steering stem bearings, brake lever, center stand, side stand, wheel bearings and the speedometer drive are all lubricated with general purpose grease. All of these need to be taken apart, cleaned and re-lubricated. My 450 is a 1972 and it hadn't been licensed since 1989. The grease was like dried toothpaste. I bought the wheels on ebay, they were very low miles and the factory grease on the front wheel bearings was still white. It was dried out too.
The other thing you should be thinking of is the process of disassembly, taking pictures of the parts before removal, bagging and restoration of the parts. Good luck with this, I will be following with great interest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bikes got 7,000 miles. Left side is in equally good shape. Noting missing (that I know of) on bike other than a busted mirror. Tires & brakes were on my 'list'. But "steering stem bearings, brake lever, center stand, side stand, wheel bearings and the speedometer drive" have been added. Appreciate the advice. Hoping engine compression tests ok and it can remain.

Yes, I'm taking lots of pics and bagging as part come off.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Bikes got 7,000 miles. Left side is in equally good shape. Noting missing (that I know of) on bike other than a busted mirror. Tires & brakes were on my 'list'. But "steering stem bearings, brake lever, center stand, side stand, wheel bearings and the speedometer drive" have been added. Appreciate the advice. Hoping engine compression tests ok and it can remain.

Yes, I'm taking lots of pics and bagging as part come off.
At 7,000 miles the engine should be OK. I would suggest teardown only for cleanup and polish. Keep us posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts